Herpes Community
Studies on indeterminate HSV2 WB

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Studies on indeterminate HSV2 WB

I've heard that a fair number of people test persistently indeterminate on Western Blot for HSV2.
Why hasn't the University of Washington or any other institution performed formal studies to try and decipher the nature of such atypical results in an effort to confirm likelihood of true serological status in such cases?

Studies performed on both HIV and HepC indeterminates both have suggested that such atypical results are most likely negative barring any immune system problems in the patient.  In over 30 years there appears to have not been a similar effort made on understanding indeterminates with the UW WB for HSV1/2.

Anyone know why?

it dosen't happen very often.

Dr Wald at the U of washington is an expert in the herpes WB and herpes blood testing. if you've had multiple indeterminate results on the WB, typically they will consult her.

grace
Hi Grace,

Thanks for the reply.

There was consultation with multiple experts at UW including Dr. Wald but no-one was able to provide a definitive answer.  Seems they don't know or are unwilling to speculate and stated such people learn to live with "uncertainty".  The written lab report itself states that such results "are inconsistent with infection to HSV2" but I just don't know.
well if she didn't know, certainly no one else does!
I too have recently had the indeterminant HSV-2 results from the WEsterno Blot test.  In fact my WB test from a year and a half ago was negative and then when they compared it to my most recent test (of which they said the two tests were identical) they were both classified as indeterminant for HSV-2.  This has been extraordanirly difficult my both myself and my girlfriend as we are not sure what to do.  I'd rather not get on medication if I am not infected but how else am I supposed to look at this.  I understand that some people look at two consecutive indeterminant WB results as not having the infection.  Is that still the case?  Having to forever live with the indeterminant result can be as much or more devestating as actually having the disease.  This is because it leaves the element of hope that people hold on to.