Herpes Expert Forum
Symptoms/questions regarding HSV2

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Symptoms/questions regarding HSV2

Thank you in advance for your time. I had posted originally within the Std section, and Dr Hook answered some questions. Since my fear is mainly herpes now, I thought this section to be more appropriate as i dont want to waste anyones time over there. Here is a brief description of what's I've been experiencing:

July 4th- unprotected vaginal sex that lasted all of 30 seconds.  A few days later extreme burn and itching, and was seen at my gyno a few days after that with a nasty yeast infection. Was given oral pill for infection.

Following week: still extreme burning and discomfort in my vagina. Went back to dr, and tested negative for all bacterial stds as well as yeast and BV

After that, unexplained vaginal irritation and discomfort. Started to develope lower back ache and leg muscle fatigue slight fever that wouldn't subside. I also got a uti during this time and was put on cipro. Dr order bloodwork and said possible recent mono exposure. Flu symptoms lasted a week after diagnosed with the uti.

I am now 6 weeks post exposure, and my vagina has not felt the same. It is always red and feels swollen. My normal discharge has vanished, and now it is pure watery discharge when I do have it. My legs are constantly sore, and the past few weeks I have nothing but tingling below my calves and my feet. Went to gyno again and was tested for HPV, HIV, Hep, and HSV. All negative expect for Hsv1 (IGG 2.5). My HSV 2 was negative at <.91. I must note that I never saw any lesions or sores, just the extreme swelling and numbness.

I know that a bloodtest at this point isn't really reliable, but I cannot help but feel like I have contracted hsv2. Too many symptoms happening all at once that cannot be attributed to anything else. Is it common for new infections to have the sacral symptoms of nerve pain along with all my other symptoms almost 6 weeks post exposure? Thank you so much for your response.
I'm sorry you are feeling so tormented about this.  
While it is true that if you have preexisting HSV 1, your HSV 2 acquisition would be milder, your symptoms honestly don't sound anything like herpes to me.  Herpes does not cause symptoms for six consecutive weeks,  herpes doesn't cause diffuse redness and swelling, the redness and swelling of herpes is focused and local.  

Because you are so worried about this, you could retest once more for herpes at 16 weeks.  Good, though, that it is negative so far.  

Have you had any bacterial cultures done, for things like staph and strep?  

Terri
I wanted to add that during the time I was experiencing the flu like symptoms I was having a headache every morning that felt like a tight band was squeezing my head, and it made me feel as though I was burning up, even though my temp never went above 99.5.

I am so incredibly sorry for my inability to let this situation go. I have an immense amount of guilt/anxiety about my encounter. I feel deserving of all of the physical and mental stress I've been under, but over 5 weeks of this is having a very detrimental impact on my quality of life, and I am contemplating seeking metal help for it. I feel like I need answers before I can start to move forward.
I also have a question regarding some things I've read...

I read that if you have a prior oral hsv1 infection, that a later hsv2 infection would be a pretty mild outbreak that might not even create symptoms. Any truth to this?

Also, I also  that if you have a prior hsv1 oral infection, it's advised to wait longer than 16 weeks to test for HSV2 because your body will take longer to produce antibodies.

I have hsv1 oral (which I've known about for years) and I've never had a cold sore. Instead I get a bump above my lip a few times a year that appears in the same spot. Does this mean a hsv2 genital infection could appear the same way?
Terri,

Thank you for your reply. It is so greatly appreciated! This has consumed my life, and I am now taking xanax because of the extreme anxiety.

The only swabs that were taken was to test for bacterial infections (bv, trich, chlyamida, and gonn). All came back negative. Should I request them to test for staph and strep? I wasn't even aware those infections could occur down there!!

I think that I've just convinced myself that I have it because all the medical sites have listed symptoms that I've experienced. Probably should stop researching!

Would flu like symptoms with a primary outbreak occur at the same time as genital sunrooms, or can they occur separately?

Would a 12 week test result be conclusive enough do you think? I have that date marked on the calendar so I can move on, but I can't imagine doing this until the 16 week mark!

Thank you for your time! It truly makes a difference for me and other people who need your expertise!
***sorry...phone autocorrected genital symptoms to sunrooms!
Terri,

One last follow up if I may please ask of you...last week I found a small group of red "paper cut" marks as well as a few bumps under my clitorus. I noticed these Friday night and got seen first thing Monday morning where they were swabbed. Results came back neg for type 1 and 2. Did I wait too long for these to be swabbed for accuracy? My Dr scrapped the area pretty hard to get more cells.

Waiting until 16 weeks feels like torture....would a 12 week test be sufficient do you believe? I am on a high dose of Xanax and Paxil because of this situation, so being able to discuss with you Drs calms my anxiety.

I am still having vaginal pain and my discharge has gone from normal to non existent since this all started. If I do get a discharge, it literally is pure water. My OB can't figure it out. Is this type of discharge consistent with hsv2?

I know I've asked for your time enough, but please any further info or advice helps me and my anxiety quite a bit!
I'm not sure about the paper cuts, but it is good that swab tests are negative for HSV 1 and 2.  Were the cuts still there on Monday when you went to see the doctor?  Did the doctor think these were herpes lesions?  

12 weeks is very good, but I still like 16 weeks, honestly.  

All of your news so far is very good news.  You should feel reassured, and now, you should start letting the good news sink in a bit, less anxiety.  Perhaps you can visualize letting go of this anxiety in stages rather than all at once.  By now, you can be about 85% certain you aren't infected.

Hang in there.

Terri
Terri,

Thank you for your reply. The cuts were still present when I went in for a swab, and the Dr said it didn't look like herpes to her, but she swabbed anyway.

Thank you for your reassuring words and positivity. I've just been so convinced its herpes because I am going on almost 2 months of vaginal discomfort and unusual discharge, and the dr cannot diagnose me.

Would the physical symptoms (backache, fever, fatigue) that sometimes comes with a new infection happen with the onset of first genital symptoms, or could the  physical symptoms start weeks after the genital discomfort?

Also, the pure  watery discharge is concerning to me. I've read that this is often a symptom of herpes, have you found this to be true?

Thank you again for all of your input. I'm trying to heal and feel better about this, but it's just baby steps at a time.
It is good that the cuts were present when the culture was taken.  
Usually, the full body symptoms come at the same time as the genital symptoms.

Terri
Thank you Terri,

Do you have any ideas about the pure watery vaginal discharge? This is very different from my usual discharge I have, and I am finding difficulty associating this to anything but herpes as I read that this type of discharge is associated with it.
Did your health care provider evaluate the discharge?  It can be looked at under the microscope to see what's up.  If herpes was causing the discharge, it would be time limited.

Terri
Terri,

They did look under the microscope as well as send some off to the lab, and no bacteria or yeast.

The watery discharge has lasted almost off and on for two months, and just within the last few days has gotten a bit more mucuousy. The dr said it could be due to hormonal issues as well as stress. Would the watery discharge be limited to outbreaks only?

I actually got back from an appointment today, and my Dr said she could put me on valtrex just to see if it helps with my discomfort. This actually shocked me!! She did an exam and said that everything looks perfectly normal, but she said since herpes is a nerve issue, it could be causing my constant discomfort and vaginal burning! I declined the valtrex because I want to retest again at 12-16 weeks and I don't want to interfere with those results. She also said maybe for me to go on an MAOI inhibitor to see if it is a nerve issue, but I told her no due to me being on Ativan and lexapro.

I am so confused by my recent appointment.....This threw me for a loop seeing how they've never seen anything that they've felt was herpes.
The word she used is vulvar vestibulitis....and she said that this condition can be caused by a herpes infection. Just when I was starting to get a grip on my anxiety about this.... =(
Terri,

I had a wonderful discussion with Dr HHH regarding my latest appointment, and he had mentioned that you two have exchanged emails regarding my situation. I would be so incredibly grateful if I could get your thoughts regarding my latest dr appointment? I also mentioned to Dr HHH that this was the third time since all of this began that white blood cells have appeared in my urine samples. I always do a clean catch, so this is just confusing to me. I asked Dr HHH if a herpes infection would cause this, and he thought that to be unlikely.

I have an appointment at the beginning of Oct for another repeat blood test, which would put me at 12 weeks. Should I go ahead and keep this appointment, or attempt to get closer to the 16 weeks mark?

I am just so uncomfortable daily, and it is really having an impact on my life. :(

Thank you Terri for your help and dedication. You and the Drs have helped me more than I could say!
Yes, Dr. HH and I discussed your case.  I'm sorry you are still having issues!
Was a urine culture sent out?  Important to know that, as it should be, I think, given that this is a repeated problem.  
Has anyone raised the question of interstitial cystitis with you?  

Yes, keep your appointment.  You seem very concerned about HSV, so I think testing negative again at 12 weeks will continue to reassure you, what do you think?  

Keep in mind that herpes is NOT an every single day thing, it is an intermittent thing.  If you have symptoms every day, it is very unlikely to be HSV .

Terri
Terri,

They are sending my urine for cultures, and they will let me know the results. Previously when they found white blood cells in my samples, they never found any bacteria. I'm just confused as to what could be causing this! My anxiety over herpes has convinced me that this is the cause ( which I probably am not being realistic)! They gave me some dietary changes that are known to help with interstitial cystitis.

I will keep my appointment at 12 weeks for another bloodtest. When I receive these results, and should hsv2 be negative (which Dr HHH thinks it will be) should I accept it and move on, or plan to retest again at 16 weeks for a more definitive result? What are the odds that a negative test at 12 weeks could become positive a few weeks later?

I just want to move on with my life, and I'm so sick of doing daily genital checks because I manage to convince myself that everything is abnormal down there!
Terri,

I really hope I am not taking advantage of your time, and if at any point I need to pay again to continue to ask questions, please let me know and I would be happy to do so.

I woke up in a panic last night thinking of my HSV blood test that I had 5 weeks post exposure. I had a value of 2.5 for HSV 1, and negative for HSV2. I panicked last night because I've never had a traditional cold sore that crusted or anything. The only thing I've had on my lip is that a few times a year I get a large lump on my upper lip. I can feel the area get really warm before this lump appears, and it usually goes down after a day or two. Is this a oral herpe infection? I'm now concerned that maybe I tested positive for hsv1 because the person I was with had a hsv1 infection genitally. There was no oral sex either way during my encounter, but could it be possible that he had hsv1 genitally? If this is the case, would that 2.5 rise in value at my next test?

Thank you in advance for your continued patience and compassion. This has been a very difficult, painful, and emotionally exhausting experience, so your expertise has certainly been a comfort.
So sorry to bump this thread as there are others who need your help, but my anxiety is starting up again wondering. Again, please let me know if I should pay again to continue asking questions.

Terri,

I am so sorry to attempt to bump this thread another time, but I could really use your expertise again.

Would you be so kind as to evaluate my last question regarding the HoSV1? When my first test came back with a value of 2.5, I wasn't overly shocked because I'd always have gotten a bump that appears on my lip a few times a year. The area gets warm before it appears. The bump never lasts very long, and Ive never had a cold sore. Does this sound like an oral HSV1 infection? I'm concerned that maybe that isn't classic symptoms of an oral infection and I may have it genitally?

Also, with a herpes discharge, is there ever any sort of odor associated with it? Not necessarily bad odor, but just stronger smelling than usual?

I am wanting so badly to try to let this go! But, I am constantly feeling odd sensations down there (burning feeling in butt, daily lower back pain, random tingling in vagina, still a different discharge).

Please Terri if you could weigh in on these last few items, then I will try to curb my fixation with this until at least my next test date.

Thank you!! As always, you are appreciated!
The bump on your life periodically could certainly be HSV 1 infection, yes.
The discharge with genital herpes infection is watery and usually without odor.  

Terri
Terri,

Thanks for the reply. I'm just so lost and scared right now! Dr HHH didn't think the bump on my lip sounded like oral herpes, so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm so worried that maybe I acquired hsv1 genitally, and I am having atypical symptoms.

Since there was no oral with my exposure, what is the  rate for genital to genital transmission with no ulcers present?

I have had that watery discharge off and on since this ordeal has begun. It is literally pure water, and my Drs cannot find a cause of it (bacterially). It has thickened up a bit at times, but not by much. It is nowhere near my normal discharge, and I am becoming increasingly concerned that no cause can be found.

Again, please let me know if it would be more appropriate to begin a new thread by paying. I have gotten more than my money worth from this one.

Please, and insight or reassuring thoughts would be so appreciative!!
The likelihood of acquiring hSV 1 genitally from intercourse is quite small, much more likely with receiving oral sex.  

Your HSV 1 antibody result is pretty low, have you considered a western blot?  

Honestly, the discharge with HSV is watery, but it doesn't just keep on and on.  It is present most often with first infection, but then goes away, and we don't see it often with recurrences.  I think the fact that yours is going on and on suggests it is NOT due to herpes.  

My final recommendation is that you retest when four months have passed, for HSV 2 or get a western blot at the time to confirm your positive HSV 1 status.

Terri
Terri,

Once again, thank you for your reply! If I could ask a few follow up questions, then I promise I will hold off on posting further until I get test results. These last few things are just weighing me down, so your input would be so appreciative!

1) With the watery discharge, how long generally does that last? Does it usually appear within the time frame of the first onset of genital symptoms (or within the first few weeks of exposure)? Is the fact that it began almost a month after my exposure and after the onset of my genital symptoms change anything?

2) In all your years working with patients, have you ever seen a case where daily backaches and soreness (in tailbone area) were present in patients with genital herpes? Or other manifestations such as numb or tingling feet below the calf daily?

3) I am in the process of visiting a urologist to address my white blood cells in my urine. They did send in a culture, and it was inconclusive findings. The recommendation now is to catheter me to get a sample to test for wbcs. Since bacteria has yet to be found, and inflammation is the likely cause, could there be a connection with herpes causing urethral or bladder inflammation? I've read a case study where this has been seen as a very atypical presentation of herpes.

4) Earlier in this thread you stated that I should let go of the anxiety slowly, and I've been working hard to do that with the help of medications. You also stated that you feel it's about 85% likely that I'm not infected, so I am trying so hard to hang on to that number. Do you still feel this is an accurate percentage?

5) in regards to the western blot, I was thinking of waiting to see what my 16 week results show. I will indeed be seeking one out should I get a low positive range for hsv2 or if the number for hsv1 has changed significantly. Do you think this is a good approach? Or should I be seeking one out now??

Again, thank you so much for your time. If you could be so kind as to address these 5 points, then I will hold off on further postings until I retest, if that's okay?

I am so appreciative of your expertise, time, understanding, and patience. You have been a positive aspect in approaching my fear with this. Thank you! You truly provide a priceless service here!!
Hi, I was hoping.someone could help me. I a.eighteen and about a month ago I had several bumps appear on my vaginal area and on my bum they did not break onto sores AMD they healed up and disappeared all by them sevels a few weeks later. I never felt any pain. They didn't pop.like a zit but if squeezed some times they woud bleed. I tried to forget it. About that time I was std testes and cleared. Now I have a bump on my lip ?? Was it definitely herpes ??? I am.so scared. Please help me.
I'm sorry I can't help you much with what the bumps are.  Often herpes hurts, but not every single time.  Were they sores or bumps?  Did the STD person have a look?  I would strongly suggest that you have a professional take a look at the bump on your lip.

Terri
Good Evening Terri,

I was wondering if you would please be so kind as to give any advice or feedback regarding my last post (containing the 5 questions). I know I have asked for quite a bit of your time, and again I wouldn't mind paying if it is necessary at this point.

Im so sorry, I tried to copy and paste those 5 questions again for you, but my iPad wouldn't let me.

Again, these 5 questions will be my last until I've had further testing. Your advice, input, experience, and wisdom will help me get a grip on my anxiety until I've had my 16 week testing done.

You are greatly appreciated..thank you! Again, sorry I couldn't paste those questions down here for you.

With most first infection, it happens within 2-10 days and might last about two weeks.

Oh, sometimes, but that wouldn't be the predominant presentation.

I agree that this would be a very atypical presentation of herpes.

Absolutely, if not higher at this point.

I think you could wait for another ELISA as an option.  Yes.

Terri
Thanks for the replies Terri. As promised, I will not ask any further follow up questions.

Today I went in for a swab as I found a small red open cut on the inside of my vagina. To me, it appeared as a lesion, but The Dr said it didn't appear as typical herpes, but she said she was concerned enough about the area to warrant a typing swab as she said it looked odd.

With your permission, may I please post the swab results for you when I receive them next week?

I'm petrified!! :(
Of course you can.

Terri
Thank you Terri....

I am so appreciative you've allowed this thread to continue as long as it has. The small cut appears to be open in the center, and had redness all around it. I was able to get in with the dr the same day I noticed it, so I feel as though a swab will be pretty accurate.

Ill post the results when they arrive. Thank you again so much for your patience and understanding!
You're welcome.

Terri
Hi Terri,

I received the results of my swab...negative for one and two. I told the Dr that I wanted to come back in a few weeks as it will be my 16 week mark, and she said she doesn't feel it's necessary, but she'll do the tests for my mental reassurance. She also said however that as a practice, they advise patients to wait until 6 months post any exposure for true test results. That seems so long!!!

I fully plan to keep my appointment regardless of her comment about 6 months. Would 16 weeks be long enough to get accurate results?

Thank you for allowing this thread to continue this long. I greatly appreciate it.
I think 16 weeks is long enough.  A very few people will become positive after that date, but it is unlikely.

Terri
Hi Terri,

I agree with you that I could feel confident with a 16 week result. With your permission, may I post those results when I get them in a few weeks? Do most patients you test get a clear positive or negative hsv2 result? It seems so many people who post here fall into that grey area, and I'm just curious how common that is.

Just out of curiosity, with a negative test at 5 weeks, two negative swabs, and countless pelvic exams with no findings of herpes sores or lesions, would you normally recommend further testing for me if I had been a patient of yours? Or do you believe at this point testing is for mental health? I've been seeing a therapist for anxiety, and she thinks this is all mental. I told her I cant move on without knowing for sure.

Also, just to update, I've been working with a urologist because I continue to have WBC in my urine samples. They sent it to a lab with no findings of anything, and the urologist says there's a chance there won't be a reason why.

Thanks once again for working with me through this! I'm almost at 16 weeks, and I am hoping for some good news with the next blood test so I can move on!
Yes, you can post your results at 16 weeks.  This will be my last post until then.

Terri
A related discussion, Recent test results was started.