Herpes Expert Forum
Test Question

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Test Question

Hi Terri -

I was reading through some of your older posts and noticed that someone who had a HSV2 reading over 5 (forget number) and HSV2 of 1.46, you said there was an 85% of it being false positive?  What would you think about HSV1 5.2 and HSV2 of 3.0?  I have never ever had any symptoms....Thanks...
Sorry I missed this post for a couple of days.
Someone who has an index value of >5 is almost certainly infected with HSV.  In your case, we would confirm you 3.0 with a second test, though I must tell you, it would very likely confirm.  But I would still order the western blot to confirm the 3.0 index value.

Terri

Terri
Thank you, how would one go about doing the WB?

Also, what are your thoughts about a BioKit?  Don't most people have an initial outbreak in the least?