Herpes Community
Transmission Question

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Transmission Question

I am a 58 year old woman. I am single after a 30 year marriage. I met a man who has herpes, had not had an outbreak in years. I had oral sex with him (me to him) and he only had his hands on my areas...Before I started seeing him, I went for a HSV check and it came back positive for HSV 1. Two days after we were together he had one of the worst outbreaks he's ever had. 6 days later I began to have tingly burning in and around my mouth. I have seen my Doctor, but what my question is: Since he had touched himself and then my genitals, is it possible that I may get HSV 2 genital herpes as well. I think I am beginning to feel some symptoms and am just freaking out. What is the risk for that sort of contact, I know he had touched himself and then was rubbing me for awhile. Is it likely to have transmitted that way as well?
I missed the part about you performing oral sex on him, which involves a risk, but that risk is rather low. Only 2% of oral infections are caused by HSV-2 while the remaining 98% of oral infections are caused by HSV-1. I stand by my statements that it'd be extremely unlikely for you to contract it from him touching his genitals then yours without any direct skin-to-skin contact of both your genitals. It's possible to get HSV-2 orally, but as I said, it doesn't happen often.
You aren't at real risk for getting herpes this way. Herpes is transmitted through skin-to-skin contact, so if he rubbed up against your genitals with his genitals then there'd be a risk, but since he touched his genitals then yours with his hand, it's really not something to worry about.
have you two talked about what precautions to take together?

is he on daily suppressive therapy?

how long has it been since your mouth tingling started?

grace
He is not on suppressive therapy, he had not had an outbreak for almost 3 years. We have not discussed precautions.
Tingling began 4 days ago, my tongue is still a little tender but otherwise everything looks okay in my mouth as of this morning.
I saw my Doctor yesterday afternoon and she said that from what she could see, it didn't look like a classic oral herpes outbreak but symptoms were consistant and since it was -existing already known that I was HSV 1 positive that in all likliehood the reaction was less because of it. What I am concerned with is can I get gential (genital) HSV 2 from what we did on that same evening? Which now is 10 days ago. Thanks
Hi Grace
I responded to your questions, could you please check the post.
Hi Grace
No, I just received one email from you (other than the one above) asking me 3 questions which I responded to but then never heard back from you responding to my actual question.
Angela
patience!! I just worked 3 12 hour shifts in a row. doesn't leave time or patience for the forum.  

is it likely you contracted hsv2 orally? no it is not.  Odds are if you had, you would've had an obvious cold sore by now or oral symptoms more suggestive of oral herpes than you have had.  

at this point, you and your partner need to sit down and decide together what precautions to take from this point forward. If you haven't read the free herpes handbook that we recommend in our read before posting post on the forum, you should do so.  Decide together if you want to just avoid sex when he has symptoms, use condoms and barrier protection for sexual contact , him take daily suppressive therapy or a combination of those precautions. The fact that he hadn't had a recurrence in 3 years is meaningless and the handbook goes into it all in far more details.
Thanks Grace. I will try to locate the Handbook.