Where did IT come from
I was recently diagnosed with Herpes 2. I am 60 yrs old and have been with only 1 man for the last 35 yrs. He was tested and he came back negative. My gyn found, on my last check up, a small bump that she said looked like a pimple and asked if she could do a culture and have me do a blood test. I thought this was silly since I have never had any problems and like I said only been with my husband.  So when she called and said it came back positive, I freaked out!  Back in the 80's, because of a mix up at the lab on my pap smear and GC smear, I was sent to the health dept in Calif. to be tested for HIV, Herpes and whatever else there was. Turned out ALL negative. So now my question is HOW is it I have HERPES ?  I have not had any breakouts that the doctor told me I would get now. Could this be something else?

Cyndi
Dear Cyndi,

Yes it could be something else, and more than likely it is.  A doctor examined me one day and said I had herpes without any blood test or cultural done.  He was definitely wrong at the time.  But, because I confused about what herpes is and the symptoms involved, now I do have herpes.  So, do not let the doctor talk up on something that is not really there. Sometimes, they are to quick to say you have a virus without the the proper testing.  Stick with your husband and you will be okay.

Good Luck!
A bump could be anything.  You don't say what came back positive if it was the culture or the blood test or both.  If it came back as positive for the culture?  Same with the testing which testing was done?  Can you get your results and share with us so we can better help you?

Paps won't show Herpes unless you have an active outbreak at that point on your cervix.  So that was pointless.  

Alot of things can be going on here.  Your husband wasn't tested properly for HSV using an the incorrect test IgM and not the IgG which is what the 2010 CDC guidelines state should be done.  The 80's we didn't have such good testing for herpes as we do now.  

Let's get the facts on your testing and what came back positive and what your husband was tested for and what test was run.  This will help us explain things.  
was your culture test + for herpes, hsv1 or hsv2?  please call monday and ask them specifically if the results were typed or just + for herpes and assumed hsv2 since it's genital.

thanks!

grace