Herpes Community
Worried and Just Diagnosed....

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Worried and Just Diagnosed....

I have been informed I have HSV2 and am now concerned about my children ages 2 and 4.  My children shower with me sometimes and I kiss them, like most mothers.  I have been in a relationship for 8 years and never tested positive until now so I am aware that sometime since the last STD panel I contracted the virus.  My concern is I may have gotten it from my brother-in-law whom lives with us and has poor hygiene skills.  He goes a month plus without showering and I know that is gross especially with the virus and possibility of asymptomatic shedding.  If I contracted the virus from him, could my children and the other people in our home have gotten it as well?  Also, would I be able to have my children tested?  How would I inform the school so they are able to make the other parents aware of the situation or should I keep quiet and hope for the best?  I am so lost on how to approach this situation and I fear for my children as they grow up and become intimate with others.  What do I do from here?
genital herpes is transmitted through naked and intimate sexual contact.this is not something you contracted from your brother in law through routine day to day contact.  

how were you diagnosed as having hsv2?

has your partner been tested yet to know his status?

you have absolutely no reason to inform the school about your genital herpes!!!  have you read the free herpes handbook that we recommend in our read before posting post on the forum?

grace
I had a full panel done when I went to my annual exam with the gyno.  They called me Monday and informed me I have HSV 2.  They said if I had any questions to let them know but to go do some research on the condition.
The only reason I thought I may have gotten it from my brother in law was the asymptomatic shedding that is talked about on many sites.
My partner is being tested on the 20th at the health department.
I have not read the book yet and am not sure which one you are referring to.  I happened upon this site when searching questions I had about herpes.  I didn't go through the whole site, only looked at some threads about herpes to see what information other people were getting.
Thank you for the help you have given to others and myself.
I can best help you if you post your actual test results  - e.g. hsv1 igg 6.9 and hsv2 igg 3.8 or whatever they are. that way we can be sure that you were properly tested and see if you need any further confirmatory testing done.  

most health departments do not offer type specific herpes igg blood testing. your partner will need to make sure that he will be getting the proper testing done before he bothers to go there.