Herpes Community
acyclovir dosage during pregnancy

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

acyclovir dosage during pregnancy

Hi there,

My doctor has me on acyclovir to supress outbreaks and viral shedding as I get close to my due date.  She's reccommending 200mg x 3 times per day.  I feel this is a big dosage for me... I do not respond well to taking meds of any kind.  Will 200mg x 2 times per day be effective?

Thank-you,

Little

actually that's too small of a dose!!!

Acyclovir doses for the last month of pregnancy are 400mg 3x/day.  You need the higher doses because of the natural immunosuppression of pregnancy.

grace
Hi Grace,

I've researched online (and offline) and there is no standard dosage during pregnancy.  

For the guidelines from Infectious Disease Committee and the Maternal Fetal Medicine Committee (approved by the Executive and Council of the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada), follow the link:
http://www.sogc.org/guidelines/documents/gui208CPg0806.pdf

The link indicates 2 dosages, 400mg taken 3 times per day and 200g taken 4 times per day.  My doctor has perscribed 200mg taken 3 times per day - and has indicated that this is a strong enough dosage for me.  My question still remains, is a dosage of 200mg taken 2 times per day effective?

I have a strong adversion to taking meds of any kind.  I get dizzy, light headed, tired, cranky and can taste metal in my mouth.  

Thanks,

Little

no, 200mg 2x/day isn't ever effective for suppressive therapy , even when not pregnant.

Not in canada so I go by the ACOG recommendations as well as the extensive research by Dr Zane Brown who has done the majority of the research on herpes and pregnancy.  The herpes handbook by Terri Warren, our herpes expert here in medhelp, also supports the dose I recommended.  

you never, ever, EVER have to take acyclovir if you don't want to, even during pregnancy. All it does during pregnancy is reduce the odds that you'd have an active lesion near the time of delivery so that you are more likely to be able to have a vaginal delivery.  If you are going to take it though, be sure to take the proper dose so that you are protecting yourself and not just wasting your time and money.