Herpes Community
after birth

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

after birth

I have hsv type 2...and recently had a healthy baby boy...since giving birth I have been having alot of outbreaks...I am so afraid of baby catching virus from me...like after using the restroom, bathing, or handling wet towels...I have been washing my hands, using germ x, and wearing gloves to handle baby during my outbreaks... Is it possible for baby to catch hsv type 2 from my through touch??
Your baby is not at risk!!  Just washing your hands with lukewarm water and soap after using the toilet or touching yourself intimately is all you need to do precautionwise.  You don't have the sort of contact it takes to transmit genital herpes to your children.  

If you are having a lot of ob's, you need to go to your provider and get tested for yeast and bacterial infections to see if either of them are contributing to this. Both are common with the changing hormones after birth.  Also even if you are breast feeding - you can still take daily suppressive therapy to reduce the number of ob's you are having.  You are run down in general from lack of sleep and childbirth so don't hesitate to take the antivirals for a few months so you don't have to have the pain and inconvenience of an ob ( or the worry as it seems to be for you ).

grace
Thank you so much for your reply...I am driving myself crazy with worry about transmitting this to my precious baby...So you are telling me that there is no possible way that I am going to transmit this virus to my baby through touch...I have another question too...my grandmother gets coldsores alot and she is around baby sometimes what precautions does she need to take around baby...Sorry for all the questions I just need my mind put at ease...