Herpes Community
can herpes spread to my NECK???

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

can herpes spread to my NECK???

I was diagnosed with genital herpes almost 3 years ago. Been married for 13 years so it was quite a shock for both of us. It first appeared on my bottom. I get regular outbreaks if I don't take medication. Is that normal?
Anyway, I'm freaking out about a "rash" that has appeared on the side of my NECK! What the hell? Could it be an outbreak on my neck???? It's 95 degrees outside and I'm wearing a TURTLENECK! I feel like such a freak. Does anyone know if the virus can spread to other parts of the body like that?
So I'm not sure, but a couple "neck herpes" posts mention that the neck is not prone to outbreaks. Also, auto-inoculation would be unlikely after getting it on your bottom.

Sorry I'm not much help, but I would bet it is an ordinary rash on your neck.
Thank you for responding. My gut says it's not an ordinary rash. Is it possible to get any other symptoms on the skin from Herpes? I'm still having a very tough time dealing with the idea that I have Herpes and I feel even more depressed now. At least when I had an outbreak on my bum, no body knew but me. I don't even want to show my husband what's on my neck. It's bad enough I feel disgusting when I have a recurrence on my bum but what could this be on my neck? It feels like the same kind of bumps and it itches. I am so depressed about this. I just want to hide in my home and not go anywhere but I have 2 young children. Sometimes I think the only thing keeping me going are my kids.
Thanks again for your answer. This was my first post here and I appreciate your response.
I really can't imagine what you're going through, but keep in mind herpes is manageable, and more common than you think.

As far as the neck location, I'll try to look and hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help:

interesting since the sores were not herpes but staph

http://*****************/question/index?qid=20090113113525AAsHzg4

this is a bunch of hodgepodge info... not expert material but may have some clues

Several other sources mention herpes zoster

The fact that this is a "new" location for you really is the most positive sign. Your body would have plenty of time to develop antibodies and so it would be very hard for the virus to be transferred. For instance, if you had HSV1 oral cold sores, you would most likely be protected against a new HSV1 genital infection.

Do you plan on seeing the doctor?
the second link is answers . yahoo . com  without spaces, and I can see why they would blank it out as it's not reliable... answer 6 had some sources that are however...
You were right. It's not related at all. I just got back from my doctor and she told me I have Shingles or herpes zoster. not sure if I should be exactly happy about that either but at least it has nothing to do with the other herpes. Seems the condition can be stress related and, like everyone under the sun, I am under a great deal of stress.

I really appreciate your help. I had no idea what was going and felt like I was losing my mind. This is the first time I've talked to anyone about any of this and you've been very helpful. Thanks for being a light in the dark for me.
I will be checking in again. It's so nice to communicate with others that can relate to what I'm going thru.
did they test the rash for shingles or just a visual diagnosis?

yes indeed it is normal to get genital recurrences regularly when not on medication.

grace
Hi Grace, my doctor did not test for shingles. She looked and immediately said "you've got shingles" and asked if I was under a lot of stress. Should I get another opinion or go back and get it tested? I was terrified that it was herpes creeping up the side of my neck. Is that possible? I don't know what else it could be. I was somewhat relieved to hear it was shingles and not herpes on my neck for the whole world to see. Either way, I'm too embarrassed to leave the house. My dh says it's not that bad but I'm pretty self conscious.
I'm also bing extra careful because we have 2 young kids that have NOT had chicken pox. The dr said shingles is highly contagious to people that have not had chicken pox or pregnant women.
if you are under 50, it's best to have a lesion culture done to confirm shingles. it's unusual for it to show up in otherwise healthy folks under 50. it does, but visual diagnosis isn't really adequate for it.

at this point, probably too late for a lesion culture to be of much help.

didn't your children have the chicken pox vaccine?

grace
I'm actually 39, I exercise regularly and eat a balanced diet. I'm pretty healthy but I've had some weird health issues in the past year like high blood pressure and now this. The only thing I can think of is that this is all stress related.

I was diagnosed with herpes 3 years ago. Is it possible for it to spread to other parts of the body after 3 years?

yes, both children have had their vaccines. does that mean they are safe? I guess that would make sense.
no, it's not going to spread to your neck.  

the chicken pox vaccine isn't 100% protection but it certainly helps.  

I assume they told you to take your herpes antivirals for this?  If this isn't markedly better by monday, follow up with a dermatologist.

grace
I have bumps that show up on my neck on they hurt. They come and then it takes awhile for them to leave. Can this be related to herpes in the throat.
The best idea to back to the doctor ASAP to swab this bump to make sure if it is just a (Bump or HSv2 or shingle)

Good luck.