Herpes Community
chances of contraction?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

chances of contraction?

the other night i was getting intimate with my girlfriend who has genital herpes and the condom broke, she let me know she wasn't having an outbreak but there still is a chance, the contact was fairly brief, only about 5 minutes or so and she said that her herpes aren't internal, i'm not sure if it makes a difference or not but i have had chicken pox before.  

thanks in advance
Could you have contracted it? Yes. There is a chance. However, the odds? no. I know that doesn't really help much but if she was shedding that night and you had skin to skin rubbing, yes, you could have contracted it. People who have it only shed a certain percent a month and if she wasn't shedding then you are fine. The only real way to know is keep an eye on yourself and notice if something happens within the next few weeks. Don't stare and convince yourself things are happening or your brain will start producing pains and itching and what not. Just go about your normal business and remember the odds are good you didn't get it...
It's doesn't matter if you were using a condom or not, herpes is transmitted by skin to skin contact and irregardless if she was having an outbreak or not, she can still pass it on to you.  She can also take Valtrex to lower the shedding of the virus and also lower the transmissiom to you, but there will never be 100% protection against herpes because once again it's transmitted through skin to skin contact.  Best of luck to you.
is it likely that you contracted hsv2 from this one time incident? no it is not. Overall your risk of contracting herpes from your partner is very low over the course of an entire year whether you are having protected sex or not.

I know you've had questions here before - did you ever read the herpes handbook? were you tested?

grace