Herpes Expert Forum
freaking out... herpes??

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

freaking out... herpes??

HI - I'm a 30 year old female.  I recently had sex with a friend about a week ago; pretty sure he doesn't have herpes.  Today I felt slightly uncomfortable after sitting all day at work and went to the bathroom and felt a small raise in the skin on my inner butt cheek.  i looked with a mirror and saw several vague bumps; some close together, others not so close.  they don't look like blisters  and are not open sores.  they don't hurt or itch, i just felt something from sitting and then walking with but cheeks rubbing together. also like a pimple would feel    ive since been obsessively examing with mirors and pulling skin.  the area just looks irritated and red.  i DID notice that almost all of these 'bumps' seem to have a hair follicale in them.. from what i can see.  other thing that worries me is i recall something relatively simliar about a year ago or so.. but at that point i chalked it up to irritation from sweat, as i exercise a lot.   now im freaking out it can be recurrant herpes? i've also been  exersiing a bit recently, with a thong which i think adds irrtation.  what does this sound like??? is there a chance its folliculutis or some kind of skin rash and not herpes??? i keep googling it and  herpes comes up so im panicing.....
If you called our office and described these symptoms over the phone to our front desk staff, we would say you should most certainly come in and have the bumps evaluated, particularly because you have had them before.  Do you have an appointment today?  If not, please make one.  The sooner you are seen, the more accurate the diagnosis will be.  An urgent care setting would be a good place to start.  

The fact that you have hairs coming out the bumps is a good thing, but doesn't make it not herpes.  

Have you had any herpes antibody testing done?

terri
I am having the same issue! Minor but reoccurring swelling of labia that I thought was due to abrasion from thong & bacteria from sweat during workouts... Last time this happened, I noticed a few tiny, pimple-like bumps as well. Broke out with this again two days ago, after working out - even though I was wearing a seamless thong and changed clothes/showered quickly afterward! Did a pH test tonight and it was normal, so no bacterial or yeast infection apparently... Totally freaked out right now :(
ugh that makes me very scared... will try to get an appointment.

if it was herpes, would it hurt or itch though???

also i woke up today and its definitely improved from yesterday.  i only noticed it yesterday late afternoon.  would herpes be significantly improved in less than 24 hrs?
any more insight given its looking better in less than 24 hrs??? going to doctor later today but going crazy in the meantime :(   also i examined again with 5x mirror... i wouldnt even say their 'bumps'  more just irritation around hair follicles....  like blotchy, not really raised
also, i did take a bath lats night to cleanse the area; in really hot water; they still didnt hurt or anything.  wouldnt hepres itch or hurt or something????
Terri – went to go see the dermatologist.  He examined the area.  He said he never truly be 100% sure, but that he’s seen a lot of herpes and this does not  look like herpes. He said it looked more like heat rash or inflamed folliculitis.  He said that, plus the fact I have no itching or pain, makes it more unlikely.  He said it’s pointless to do a swab test b/c there’s not really anything good to swab so it’d prob come back negative regardless.  Should I relax or still be concerned...
I think a professional opinion is worth a ton, with an exam.  I think you can relax.

Terri