Herpes Community
genital herpes or something else?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

genital herpes or something else?

24 year old male.
On 11/13/2012, I had protected vaginal sex with a high risk female; it lasted no longer than 10 minutes.  On 11/26/2012 I received unprotected oral from a different partner.
On 1/10/2012, I went to the bathroom in the morning to pee, and I felt tremendous burning.  This happened most of the day and the next.  On 1/12/2012, the burning sensation was replaced with pain in my left testicle.  I went to the doctor on 1/15/2012 and I was diagnosed with PROSTATITIS, this was further confirmed with a CT scan and the radiologist called my doctor to tell him (without prompting) that my prostate was large.
I started on Cipro, but the doctor changes me to levofloxacin when I had testicle pain (He said I did not have epididymitis); I reacted badly to the levofloxacin and I am now on Sulfamethoxazole.  I have been on this medication for 4 days.
I have not had burning urine for about  the past 5 days, but I still get some dull pain before going to sleep at night.
I have had both an NAAT and Urethral swab for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia and both have come back negative.  I also had a standard STD screen done on 1/23/2012 for HIV, Syphilis, herpes (blood screen) and trichomoniasis.  All came back negative.

I had not considered the problem to be herpes until I got the screen done, and I had not had any previous symptoms or warning signs of herpes, but I freaked myself out about it and the next day I started feeling a burning in the recturm.  I now have a slight red rash just above the anus and between scrotum, and a small gray/white mucous film towards my upper anus.
I cannot see or feel any lesions, blisters or bumps anywhere on my anus.  I have been taking pictures with my phone and feeling multiple times per day. I had light, bright red blood for 2 days after having the herpes blood test done.

1) Could this be genital herpes around my anus?

2) Could I have a hemorrhoid caused mainly by stress or something else? (I have not been eating, and most nights I'm only sleeping about 5 total hours, I have also begun to pace for up to 30 minutes a time. I'm a nervous wreck!)

3) Should I have another Herpes blood test done in the next two weeks?
odds are this is a fungal infection going on from the antibiotics. really no reason to think it's a herpes issue.

grace
I really, really, really hope that this is the case. Just curious, what would make you speculate that this is the issue and not herpes or hemorrhoid?

Thank you for your reply!
bump post.

Please, any responses are welcome.
see your provider for a proper exam to know what is going on.

hey grace,

I just wanted to give an update and see what you thought.

I actually did NOT have a herpes blood test done on 1/23, but i DID get one done on 2/1 at a private clinic (herpes select 1&2 IGG blood test)
The results came back negative.
For the sex encounter that put it at 11weeks and 4 days.
For the oral encounter that put it at 9 weeks and 4 days.

The doctor said I did not have any abnormalities on my rectum, and I showed him a picture from yesterday and 1 week ago.  
He assured me that I am fine and that I should stop worrying.

Should I get tested anymore or should I take his word for it?
I wouldn't bother with more herpes testing. continue to be seen any time you have  a return of symptoms to try to get a better idea of what is going on so you can treat it/prevent it.

congrats on being negative :)
Just a quick question:

The getstdtested.com site has chat available with representatives; I spoke with one on the phone and two over chat.

They keep telling me that the IGG herpes test is 99.9% accurate after 6 weeks.  How true is that information?  I thought I read that you should wait 12 weeks to be tested.
I cannot find what looks like an official website with information regarding the accuracy of the IGG blood test. Could you help me with that?

I am currently having symptoms that look a little like cold sores (slight itching, white bumps on lip line), but I've been using abreva since day one and I'm not sure if that is affecting how they look.
The lady on the chat said that it was more than likely a dermatological issue and she did not recommend retesting, because my results came back negative after 9 weeks.

What do you think?
that is inaccurate information that they are giving out.    The testing is never 99.9% accurate even if you waited a year to test.

the herpeselect has its own website. never googled the captia test to see if they do or not.

already told you to be seen every time you have symptoms and not to bother with more herpes blood testing!
Hey grace, my paranoia won out over your advice an I did get another igg blood test done. This makes it 16 weeks and 14 weeks post possible exposure and it came back negative. I am seeing a dermatologist Thursday about what looks like cold sores (my doctor thinks so too). However, I've had them for 5 weeks, abreva for 9 days and famiclovir for 10 days did nothing. What else could they be besides cold sores? My whole face hurts now though, skin is flaking, itchy all over (including scalp), nose is broken out with bumps.
The "cold sores" have stayed white bumps for 5 weeks, no weeping, no crusting, just constantly there. My gp is confused because normal cold sores should be gone by now.
My main question is about the igg test: I had been off the famiclovir for 10 days when I got the test done. Could the medicine be causing a false negative?

Sorry if this seems jumbled or unclear, I'm typing on my phone
a cold sore won't linger that long, even if you didn't treat it. going to see a dermatologist is the best next step.  

10 days of famvir wouldn't affect igg results.