Herpes Community
herpes on the finger?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

herpes on the finger?

What are the chances of acquiring HSV-2 on the finger when already infected for a few years with genital HSV-2.
very, very low. why?

grace
About six weeks ago I was stimulating my girlfriend (asymptomatic HSV-2 positive) vaginally with my finger, 7-10 days later I got a strange sensation on that finger, actually located where I have a callous. Approximately at the same time I had a small patch of dry skin on the opposite side of the sensation. I noticed the sensation while washing my hands. The sensation has since gone away but the skin where the dry skin was is a bit sensitive to touch.  I was prescribed steroid ointment for the dry patch. Having symptomatic HSV-2 I'm well aware of the symptoms and I'm not convinced it is a new infection. Just got HSV-2 on the brain in a  bad way now. I was prescribed steroid ointment for the dry patch.
Sorry for the repeat at the end of that...
So you saw a provider who didn't feel that this was herpes whitlow correct?

grace
She (dermatologist) prescribed me Valtrex perhaps because I told her I have been hsv-2 pos for years. She said the symptoms didn't appear to fit the whitlow description. I read that once well established with a type of HSV one is protected from acquiring that same type of HSV on another part of the body.
Well it's 7 Mar and I don't know if I have herpes on my finger. I never developed blisters redness itching or swelling. I still have subtly sensitive skin on the last segment of my finger.  Based on my experience with herpes for 3 years this symptom doesn't ring a bell. If it was herpes would a symptom like that linger for so long. Since my first symptom, it's been 56 days or 8 weeks!

The big question, this discussion brings up, is immunity. If I could get a new infection of the the same type (HSV-2) 3 years later,  that puts a major damper on the concept of creating an effective vaccine. The point of a vaccine is to create anti-bodies to a specific virus or the like and prevent infection from that virus or the like. What better model than someone who has  well established anti-bodies (3 yrs) to prove out whether or not immunity to HSV-2 is even possible. I'm healthy, rarely ever get sick and work out regularly.

What do you think Grace? This has been on my mind since Jan 10th and I don't know how to get a definitive answer. At one point I was thing perhaps I got a fungal infection from her?
At this point you need to continue following up on this with your provider or a dermatologist.

I only know of one person on the boards who ended up with whitlow many years into being infected with hsv2 genitally. She's a quilter and had multiple finger pricks on her hands and dry, cracked skin from handwashing frequently on her job so she knows she had an open portal into the skin for infection.  

grace
I presume her whitlow was from HSV-2. What was her symptoms like? Thanks for your responses.
Hurt like a SOB, swollen and red.  Yours doesn't sound at all like whitlow.

grace
I stumbled across this on Johns Hopkins Medicine, http://www.hopkinsbayview.org/about/, and thought I'd share this with the class. The site is quite informative and I recommend it for any one looking for info about herpes.

"If you have genital herpes or orofacial herpes, you cannot transmit the infection to another part of your body after the initial infection occurs. If you have genital HSV II, you will not get HSV II at another site in your body. The body produces antibodies that protect other parts of your body from infection. However, there are cases where an individual has multiple site infections from the same virus. This is usually acquired at the time of the initial infection. For example, if an individual has oral and genital sex with an infected partner, they can acquire the infection at both sites because they are susceptible at that time."
Still waiting...regarding the woman with hsv-2 on her finger, do you happen to know how soon after her exposure to the virus that her symptoms arose?