Herpes Community
herpes transmission generic valtrex

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

herpes transmission generic valtrex

hey my new gf who i strarted dating recently told me she has herpes/genital and shes on Valacyclovir and shes been on this for one month,we had unprotected sex once this was before she told me!the night consisted of drinking,sex wasnt long maby 5 minutes and i do remember ejaculating in her..sex wasnt rough just a get it in n be done type deal,i was tired!

i read that my chances of getting this are very high since she was recently infected with this virus.but from her first outbreak shes been on that medicine daily and its one gram if that means anything..

it has been 15-16 days since we had unprotected sex..

i havent noticed anything different going on down there at all.no bumps/redness/itchyness etc,just normal i guess

my questions are,how good does this Valacyclovir work on reducing transmission only being on it one month,all the studies/research is with people that have had it for sometime!

and how easily is it transmitted without sores being present and on meds?

and if i was infected should i have of seen/felt noticed something going on with my private area..

i read so many articles and info saying the medicine works and some where it says it doesnt reduce transmission at all!!

thats why i signed up here because i seen some post kind of like mine and had great info,can anyone help out here.

let's start at the beginning a bit more with all of this :)

does your gf have  hsv1 or hsv2 genitally?

have you been tested for herpes before to know your own status?

did you and your partner both seek out full std testing prior to starting to have sex that you are having unprotected sex together?

grace
Type is unknown I've been tested prior just not for herpes that I no of but everything was negative..

She gotest prior all neg until this last time when she had outbreak..

And unprotected was just a night without much thinkin
she doesn't know her type or you don't know her type?
It's harder for a female to pass it to a male. But if she isn't having an outbreak at the time and she is on suppressant medication then your risk is lower also.
She doesn't know wich type!
well you two can't make educated decisions about what precautions to take until you both know who has what!! I recommend that you both seek out type specific herpes igg blood testing to see who has what at this point.  her knowing her type will also help her figure out how to treat her herpes too.

it's been 2 weeks, odds are if you had contracted herpes from her you would've had symptoms by now.  At this point, make sure you both cover your full std testing bases and go from there.
I agree I was just wondering about how good the meds are only being on them a short time!?

And the odds of transmission for a one time thing?!

We always use protection just this one time being unprotected,

Thanks for the info though anything else that could help me out with understanding my situation?
suppressive therapy starts being effective after 5 days of starting them.  

if you two did nothing but avoid sex any time she had any symptoms genitally, you would be 96% likely NOT to contract hsv2 from her over the course of an entire year. It's really low risk in general even with the simplest of precautions.  
If say I do catch it, what should I look for as symptoms?

obvious and painful lesions.
its been 19 days since,and i dont notice any signs/symptoms down there.

should i be worried any longer.

and my anual check up is mid april,and always get blood work done should i ask for any specific testing,with my situation..
do you plan on sticking with this gal?
of course i do,this issue isnt an issue you know what i mean!

i just want info from people who do have this.

and also for myself to know what i should look for in terms of symptoms on my part as well as hers.

her breakouts only happen on her lower vagina,so a condom should cover me enough,for future times,we had sex after the unprotected night...protected of course,she has no irritation neither do i..

i just want to know how good the medicine works for the time shes been on it,somewhat over a month,,,.and my chances of not catching it,cuz if i can have a relationship without being infected thats always a big plus,but i do know theres always a chance but with safe sex on both our parts im not to worried.

the girl is a badass chick and we have a good connection,so kinda dumb and stupid to not be with her..:)

but as of today still no issues with me down there,some minor itching but i shaved prior to that night so its usual to itch with growing hair"i think"

but other than that everything else seems fine,shes now shy with sex since that one night but i try to tell her it is what it is,but i think on her part she feels shame i think i dunno but thats a different issue!!

again thanks for the info grace!!
since you plan on continuing the relationship, I would seek out a type specific herpes igg blood test for yourself at your appointment to know your status. after that, test yearly unless you develop obvious symptoms in the genital area.

it actually makes no difference where her actual ob's occur. The virus is shed from the area of actual lesions when they are present as well as from the entire anal and genital area. in between obvious lesions, the virus sheds periodically from the anal and genital area. suppressive therapy helps to significantly reduce this shedding as well as obvious lesions so that there are less disruptions to your sex life as well as less shedding to potentially infect you.

daily suppressive therapy for your partner, avoiding sex any time she has anything going on genitally and condom use will make your odds of contracting hsv2 from her about 1% over the course of an entire year. really low in general :)
Thanks for the info I just woke up, and checked myself again,still nothing down there..

But I plan on being tested in April as usual so I will ask dr to do test for herpes along with the usual std testing..

21 days since that nite an no obvious marks or anything down there so I'm gonna forget about it for now an go on with life..

Again thanks for the info any other info that you may have don't hesitate to inform me of anything

:)