Herpes Community
how long am i contagious

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

how long am i contagious

I am a 25 yr old female who has had Genital Herpes for 3 years, I often get recurrences where I suffer from blisters and I would like to know how long I am contagious for during these recurrences
You are contagious at least 24 hours prior to the symptoms and until the skin is back to normal. It varies from person to person and ob to ob as to when you are contagious in between obvious lesions.

Are you on suppressive therapy? If not have you looked into it? The herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com goes into it in more detail if you aren't familar with it.

grace
Yikes!!! Your response to lauralonglegs was terribly irresponsible. The correct answer to the question is that, pending a major medical breakthrough, she is contagious until she dies. The measures one can take to reduce the probability of transfer are well known (condoms, prescription medication, abstinence during outbreaks), but it can never be eliminated completely.

As for the "how long" question, answers to that question vary even among physicians, but usually extend to some number of days prior and after, not simply 24 hours before and after the skin is visibly normal.

Frank
Please accept my apologies. My post was insensitive and impetuous. It was factual, but atrociously undiplomatic.

First of all, to Laura, I'd like to advise that she educate herself on the subject as much as she can, even outside of forums like this one, and my recommendation would be to start with an excellent book: Managing Herpes: Living and Loving With HSV by Charles Ebel and Anna Wald, MD, and MPH. After that, a consultation with your physician would be in order.

Obviously, contagiousness is greater during an outbreak, but depending on more factors than I have time to elaborate on here, risk can be greatly minimized. I know 2 couples who have been married for many years (one for 30, the other for 10) wherein one partner has one form or the other of genital HSV, and the other partner has never yet had an outbreak.

As for me, I have never been tested, and have never had an outbreak. My partner has genital HSV-2 and takes Valtrex religiously. We place no limits on our sexual activities except during her outbreaks, and although I usually wear a condom, I don't always.

Again, I apologize for my insensitivity.

Frank
It is impossible to cover all the scenerios when replying. The 24 hours prior to the ob and until the skin is healed is the recommended advice to be given and is given by all of us here on medhelp who advise on genital  herpes.  Does it apply 100% of the time to 100% of posters? Absolutely not but it is the average and is in the ballpark for most folks.  You are not contagious 24/7/365 with genital herpes though.  Treating ob's also reduces the amount of time that the virus is active during a recurrence.   I'm not quite sure how you thought my response to the original poster was irresponsible by no means.

grace