Herpes Community
immune to anti-virals???

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

immune to anti-virals???

HI,
I was diagnosed with genital herpes about 6 months ago. I immediately went on suppresive treatment (valtrex) for the first 3 months I was outbreak free. Now over the last few months I have been getting more and more outbreaks until this last one which has lasted a month. I was switched to Famvir and that has still not cleared it. I am wondering if I am maybe not respondinig to anti-virals and if my outbreak may improve if I go off of them. I know this may sound crazy, but I am doing everything else right (diet, managing stress, etc) is it possible to be immune to anti-virals and that the drug I am thinking is making it better is actually making it worse?
how were you originally diagnosed as having herpes? Do you have hsv1 or hsv2 genitally?

have you been tested for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally in the last 3 months?

diet and stress aren't really triggers for anyone.  No need to do anything different than you usually do just because you have herpes.  It's always a good idea to keep stress minimal but unfortunately real life didn't get that memo.

grace
HI Grace,

I was diagnosed by swab of a lesion Hsv2. All my lesions used to be internal and this last outbreak has been on the labia and doesnt seem to be healing.
Have not been tested for yeast or bacterial infections, though I am fairly certain this is some kind of outbreak. my doctor has also told me that I also have HPV warts (which can make it confusing when looking for one or the other), though again this seems to be more herpes related.
All my previous outbreaks cleared in record time, but lately it seems like none  of the antivirals i have been prescribed are doing anything for me. after 5 days of Famvir still no real significant change from switching off the valtrex.
However, I am not itching or feeling any of the promdrol symptoms or tingling as new lesions show up.
at this point, make an appointment for next week ( the holiday week this week makes it too hard to be seen ) and have them take a look at things again. Make them test you properly for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally too.  Bv is asymptomatic 50% of the time in females but it can cause herpes to be more active and until you treat it and clear that up, your herpes will continue to give you a hard time and keep reoccurring frequently. Same as many other things can look like herpes but really are not. I know it's a pain but be seen monthly as needed to get to the bottom of all of this!

Famvir, acyclovir and valtrex all work about the same. Some folks do respond better to one than the other but in general if one isn't working for you, it's because it's not all a herpes related issue going on.