new boyfriend
New boyfriend said he has herpes and we've had unprotected sex.  Then, after 3rd time together he gets sores on finger and end of nose, I have had no symptoms.  I know I need to get tested.  What caused his outbreak w/in 24 hours after fingering me and having done down on me? Is there any reason for "protected" sex now?   Thank you for your input
If he's having HSV-1 outbreaks on his nose/lips/fingers then there isn't a need to use protection for genital to genital sex. Protection may be necessary in the future in regards to him penetrating your genitals with his finger if he does have herpetic whitlow, but he needs to be checked out. Since his infection is in the facial region, he sheds from the mouth as well so protected oral sex should be considered as well when he's the one performing it.

Outbreaks are more genetic than anything, and there really isn't anything I can pinpoint to give you a definitive answer regarding his recent outbreak. The sun seems to have some effect on the presence of cold sores, and cold sores are especially common this time of the year due to everyone being sick.

Have you ever been tested for HSV-1 or HSV-2? Most likely, your boyfriend's facial sores are from HSV-1, and most adults have HSV-1, so if you do then you're not at risk for contracting it on another part of your body.

Were the sores on his fingers actually ever diagnosed as herpetic whitlow? It's usually very painful.
WOW, Thanks so much for your very informative reply!  
Never heard of "herpetic whitlow..."  I'll check it out.  Seems possible I might have been tested years ago, but I sure as heck don't remember for sure.  But, I'm thinking I should now to be absolute and to determine any steps I should be taking in case of a positive result.  I don't know (I'm asking) if he was diagnosed with 1 or 2.  I'm thinking 1... (he said it's been years since his last outbreak, but didn't say where it was.)  I sent him info on herpetic willow - he did not mention anything about it being painful...  We'll see...
You have been awesome, thank you!
If it's on it's face then it's HSV-1 most likely. HSV-1 causes 98% of oral infections while HSV-2 causes only 2% of oral infections.

In regards to herpetic whitlow, he most likely doesn't have it. Herpetic whitlow is extremely painful and has obvious blisters on the fingertips, which doesn't really sound too concerning since your boyfriend has experienced no pain.