Herpes Community
what color is the 'crust'?!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

what color is the 'crust'?!

i have read that herpes crusts over. my baby has neonatal herpes and he has a dry rough patch of skin. almost rash like at times. docs said it was baby acne but some also said its possible for it to be herpes. it gets like a yellow crust. could it be herpes? is herpes 'crust' yellow?
usually baby acne stays like little white heads.

how long has this been going on?

grace
hes 10 weeks. so about 8 wks. but it seems to clear up at times then get irritated and worse. it doesnt really get pimpley. its mainly a rash of red bumps, but always rough. very rarely gets a white head.
remind me - isn't your  baby on acyclovir for a year?  too tired to go back and look through all your prior posts.

I really would trust your child's pediatrician. they take neonatal herpes infections very seriously and if they thought this could be herpes, I'm sure that they would've swabbed it by now.
yes he is on acyclovir. the docs at the hospital mentioned that swabbing it would be the only way to know for sure, but they never did it. i never mentioned it to his ped. n wont be going back for 2mos. i guess i was hoping it was dry skin n i could try different things to get it to dry up. but i have noticed the yellow puss like 'crust' about 3 or 4 times now.
whoops meant for the spot to clear up. i tried scrubbing well with different baby soaps, lotion, now just clear water to wash the spot. thought about trying baby oil, but kinda scared to get it in his eyes and i'm not sure if it would really moisturize?
also he only had herpes in his spinal fliud. it affected his breathing they said it was cuz it affected his brain. it didnt affect any other organs or his skin. although i did ask the specialist about a white (looked fluid filled) bump on the bottom ledge of his penis head. i only noticed it at 8 wks n he had it for like 4 days. i know its not common to pass it to the babys genitals, but ya know im trying to get it figured out.
sorry i keep adding, but as i look i remember more things. looking at this spot on him he has a little pen dot sized scab, this is like the 3rd time hes gotten a scab in this 3 inch 'rough' area that same small size scab but always in a different spot. also right now its not scaley or really rough and irritated like it sometimes gets.
rashes in the diaper area are really common. no real reason to think this is herpes related at all.
no his rash like patch is not in the diaper area, its on his forehead and nose. just that one little blister looking bump was on his penis.
no his rash like patch is not in the diaper area, its on his forehead and nose. just that one little blister looking bump was on his penis. the face thing has me worried cuz people kiss his forehead all the time.
honestly, her doctor has seen it and isn't worried so I wouldn't be too concerned either.
Fiancee finally got his herpes results....they say they are negative and I believe they look negative, but here they are....

_index_                                  _interpretation_
Less than 0.90.              Neg for antibodies
                                          To HSV2 IGG
0.90-1.10.                       Equivocal
Greater than 1.10.        Positive

I don't see an iGm result, although when I told him to get the test I said to make sure both are done?
him
Is this a negative result?
Is this a negative result for sure? 2 years ago I know Grace liked to recheck results because drs often mistake them.....