Horses & Large Animals Community
Getting saddle sore

Welcome to the Horses & Large Animals Forum!
This forum is for questions and support regarding your horses and other large pets!

Getting saddle sore

Do not own a horse but ride once a week, just started school work, getting saddle sore for about 2 days afterwards, best point out I am 57! What remedy do others use?
Oh!  Yes!  Saddle sore!  How common is that!! Well, I can say that once a week would give you the highest instance of saddle soreness, as the riding would not be consistant enough to use your riding muscles enough to condition them properly. "weekend warrior" symptoms can be painful, indeed (at any age!).  That said, before riding, or doing any exercise, it is important to warm up your body with some light stretching exercises, and repeat after exercise as a cooldown.  In addition, Pilates is a terrific form of gentle stretching and strenghtening that focuses on your core (abdominals/back), which is your foundation when you ride. Lots of riders, even upper-level riders, do Pilates. Perhaps you could fit in some Pilates inbetween the days you ride? And, maybe ride another day or two during the week?  That said, please don;t do anything without first consulting your doctor to make sure that ANY form of exercise is right for you!
Thanks! I used to do a lot of palates and hope to go back to it. I do only ride once a week. I had never thought of a warm up, thanks. I had a bad horse fall in January and my physio said it was ok to go on with riding as it strengthens the core muscles. I wouldn't have stopped anyway!

The horse fall was in January, when I was airlifted to hospital nothing broken but physio said my pelvic girdle had been knocked out. I have gone very flabby with little muscle tone and the saddle soreness started last month, my first time in the school since the fall. I was doing diagonals, maybe not ready for it physically yet Spent the next day in bed. Just hacking out at the moment. The fall was freak, a dog attacked the horse that threw me onto concrete in a car park, he was 18 hh. I was knocked out.

Thanks for thinking of me.