Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Can HPV lay dormant for years?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Can HPV lay dormant for years?

Heres the Situation....

I have been with the same partner for aproximately 3 years.  In that time, my pap smears have come back as normal.  I then had a baby about 14 months ago.  The pap I had a couple of months after giving birth came back normal also.  I just recently went to get my annual, and I came back as medium dysplasia.  I had a biopsy, and it was said to be the lowest stage of abnormal cells.  The medical place did not test for HPV, because they assumed it was that anyways due to the fact that they were abnormal at all.  So here is my question... should I be worried that my husband has been unfaithful, or is it possible that I have always had this, and it is only causing me issues now?  Is it even possible to have abnormal cells from anything other than HPV?  Your info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.  
Even tho HPV is the main cause of abnormal paps..it is not always the cause!To assume u have HPV without doing the thin prep test which is the  seperate test for HPV along with an abnormal pap is pure poop!They need to be sure what it is!i was celibate for 10 years and had paps annually.Got HPV last year after getting in2 a relationship now over.Dr.Hook had stated to me that this lying dormant for years was highly unlikely due to my diligence with paps and that i was most likely re-xposed to a strain of it by x b-friend.
Go to the American Social Health Association website on HPV - www.ashastd.org

That will reassure that a diagnosis of HPV does indeed not imply infidelity and that yes, you could have had it for some time.

Hope this helps!
It is worth researching the archives on HPV transmission under the Experts Forum-std's.Both Drs.Hook and Handsfield are on the board of ashastd.org.