Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Confused on HPV

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Confused on HPV

Hello community, any help would be much appreciated.

I'm a male and had a high risk exposure (although protected, and very brief, then stopped early) and wanted to get checked for peace of mind. So at 42 days, I got the full std panel, urine + blood. Everything came back negative, which I'm obviously very happy with. However, here comes the doubting.

HPV wasn't on my results. I was checked for warts, nothing, but I've read high-risk doesn't create warts.

My question is, how do I know I'm safe for others?

Am I good to go, and enjoy the warm embrace of a lady without putting her in danger? Is it all possible to get blood or urine tests to make sure I'm in the clear?

I'd hate to infected someone, even though it's very common etc..

Thank you.
we don't have commercially available hpv testing for males.    there's just no way to accurately cover that testing base for you.

grace
Thanks Grace, one final follow up please.

The brief encounter I had was with a sex worker in China. It was protected and oh so brief. No drugs or drink involved so was very controlled. All other STDs are negative.

My question is, I know there are very many stains of HPV, so unless I get the wart producing kind, there is no way of telling if I'm effected - until I infect a women, and she gets alerted at her yearly pap-smear? IF i have it to begin with.

1) Sounds unfair, apart from discussing the risk with the lucky lady, am I missing something here?

2) How long do they warts take to appear, if they do at all? It's been about 55 days.

Thank you
Warts appear 2-6 months from infection. Your risk is very low due to condoms, but not zero. When you do have sex with anyone, you don't have to say anything unless you feel obligated to. You have no warts now and more importantly, unless you have sex with a virgin, the odds are good that the next woman has it too. And yes, without a wart appearing or a female telling you she has it, you have no idea of your HPV health. No man does. And even if a future partner did get a positive result, how would she know it is from you?  Infections can sometimes take years to show up. Some women go from neg paps to positive paps without having sex in between. This is one crazy virus!
you didn't post your age but have you had your gardasil shots for hpv if you are under 28?

there are over 30 different types of hpv that commonly infect the genital area. not many of us get through life without genital hpv whether we know we had it or not. thankfully for most of us, it's never a health issue.