Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Did I have it first or did he?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Did I have it first or did he?

I'm a 23 year old gay male in a now monogamous relationship with my 30 year old boyfriend. I recently went to visit him this past year, and a few months after I'd already returned home he discovered he had genital warts.

Is it accurate that there's literally NO WAY to know if your previous or current partner has the genital wart strain of HPV, UNLESS they have visible warts?

Is it possible that I have an asymptomatic strain of HPV that I then gave to my boyfriend, who is now showing symptoms? Should we both still look at getting vaccinated for other wart causing strains?
Yes.  There is no test for men. Only visible warts can inform men that they have this STD. Males who date women can assume they have it if their partners test results are positive but the only concrete proof is a wart. 80% sexually active people have been exposed to it. Not everyone gets a wart. Only women can be tested for it.  

It is possible that you gave it to him. Your immune system could be stronger than his and this prevents the warts. You can't play detective with this STD. Who gave it to who is irrelevant. If you are under 26, get the vaccine to prevent getting strains that you don't already have. However if you two intend to stay together for the rest of your lifes, then you won't need the vaccine.
Its maddening that I can't play detective, but I suppose it is what it is. It's just awful that I can't know if I even have it or not, much worse if I unknowingly spread it to him.

I suppose the safest route is for him and I to both go pay the expense and get vaccinated against whatever other strains he doesn't have, and myself in case I otherwise don't have any at all yet.

The age range for vaccination is just based upon the group that it was tried in, right? Could he even go to get vaccinated at 30?
He can get vaccinated at age 30 but there are no studies for its effectiveness after age 26. Since he has genital warts, you have it too. That's a certainty which cannot be proven without a wart but is a fact you should accept. The vaccine protects people against the 4 most common strains. There are over 40 different strains so it is always possible that you two can get a new strain not protected by the vaccine but the odds for that are low. Yeah its crazy that a man cannot be tested. The drug companies need to come up with a test for men and come up with a drug that will prevent the infected from infecting others or rid us of this virus. Billions can be made if someone smart comes up with an idea.