Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Dormant HPV?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Dormant HPV?

Can HPV ly dormant for 30 years.  I hve been married for 32 years and 2 years ago I was diagnosed with HPV. I have only had one partner for 32 years.  After I told my family doctor the results from my pap (done my a gynocologist) he said that before I thought about leaving or accusing my husband I should know that HPV could ly dormant for years.  I have been struggling with this for 2 years and I need to know. My paps have always been normal and they have been normal since.
From what I read, yes, HPV can be dormant for decades and then suddenly be active. This is not common though. Over 80% of all sexually active people get HPV at some point, and most are never aware of it. In your case perhaps some illness sic as the flu suppressed your immunity and the dormant HPV became deactivated.

I am not trying to downplay your unfortunate event here, but you tend to read about the exceptions, those people who do get HPV after two or three decades. It is scary to many people and makes it seem that everyone of us exposed to this virus but with no symptoms will eventually see the symptoms in 20 or 30 years. More likely, you won't ever hear from those who never have the symptoms in their lives. The HPV problems are probably no more common than 100 years ago.

So what you do is follow your doctor's orders. Keep getting regular papa. The good news is that you say your pals have been normal the last two years. This suggests your body's immune system attacked that virus two years ago and if it reoccurs, which is now extremely unlikely, it will be very weak.
I am on my iPad so please excuse typos...papa= paps
Also there are cases where people get HPV who have only ever had one partner. I have it, I think stress/grief is what has allowed my body to have cell changes. My mother had it when they didn't know what HPV was and I know my parents were virgins and I am fairly sure faithful during their marriage. Because HPV is transmitted via skin to skin contact and not fluids they can't rule out none sexual transmissions though that would be rare. The thing I would say woman to woman is this. HPV is very common, most people who have sex will get it at some point in their life. It is rarely a seriously medical issue and there are many treamtments. Be happy with the fact your pap has cleared, this means your body has handled it well. Make sure to get regular paps like Soscared suggested, because this is the key to health. You have had a long marriage so respect that and try and move forward with life instead of worry and upset. :)