Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV and Vitamins/Supplements

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV and Vitamins/Supplements

I am a pretty active man who was diagnosed with genital warts 6 months ago. I take a multi vitamin as well as L-Arginine, Zinc and Saw Palmetto. I was wondering if there was any concrete evidence that the L-Arginine especially has any negative effects on my condition, (causes/exacerbates) breakouts etc as I have heard many different things. All the searches I have done related to this inform me of a diet high in L-Lysine and low in L-Arginine to help treat herpes, which I do not have. I am currently undergoing cryotherapy for my breakouts because the Aldera cream irritates me too much. I also currently use vitamin E liquid topically and have been trying to live as healthy a life style as possible (quit smoking, drinking and eating healthier). I like taking the L-arginine for the muscle building properties but I am willing to stop taking it if it makes my HPV worse. I also like to eat alot of different foods like chocolate, red meat and yogurt to name a few, which again I have read are very high in L-Arginine. Please let me know if I need to change my vitamin,supplement and diet routine as I would like to treat this condition as effectively as possible and I am willing to do anything to make that happen. Thank you very much for your time.

While some people claim success with certain diets, doctors I have seen haven't recommended making any changes. Just the common sense healthy eating sort of thing.

Unlike herpes, the immune system clears HPV. This happens for 90% of us in under 2 years, and many people are much faster, regardless of diet change.

If it was easy to drastically improve people's immune system, we would treat people with food.
Hate to disagree w/ Alex..but many docs have found that improving our diets (veggies,fruits, low in sugar, white starches, no smokind/drinking, etc) can strengthen the body..like taking vitamin C for colds/folic acid during pregnancy. Unfortunately, a large amount of medical doctors don't recognize the validity of "natural"medicine and there isn't money/profit for drug companies.  My gyn recommended folic acid and L-lysine..if you can't get what you need from the foods you eat then taking a supplement makes sense. After talking w/ other HPV positive women on another site and checking out their site AND doing my own research/reading , I decided to take Papillex.
Thanks for your comment I agree with the living a healthy lifestyle treatment. The only question I have is that isn't L-lysine the amino acid that is used to fight the herpes virus, not HPV?
yes..but L-lysine ALSO helps in cell maintenance..my gyn rec. it helps in the production of antibodies.. but i have actually stopped taking it..doing a bit more rsearch on it..
"If it was easy to drastically improve people's immune system, we would treat people with food."

Nothing personal, but oh, the general ignorance of most people -- from the common folk to professional health-care practitioners -- on the crucial role of eating well to boost our own immune system..(!)

Yes, it's a common practice now-a-days to "drastically improve" one's immune system, by turning away from clogging, carnicogenic eating & lifestyles, and turning to nature (and the 'ease' of it depends on how far one is in living unhealthy, and how willing & open-minded he/she is, but there's countless documented accounts of people responding well to alternative 'treatment,' which involves a great deal of diet-changing/improvement).

I could understand a point of yours as you mentioned the "treat" (which is part of most people's concept of health -- live unhealthily, get some disease, then use medication to "treat" the disorder, which is mostly focused on symptom-management).

While you can't expect an overnight "cure" for everything solely from eating right, if you eat/use the right foods, herbs, or supplements, and do your best to avoid toxic & acid build-up (a.k.a. pure nourishment/lifestyle) your body's own natural powers to heal itself from [most any] disease will take charge.    

I challenge you to look into this, get enlightened, and help others be aware as well.

I don't blame people too much for being uninformed here.  There is a decade worth of fake Naturapaths out there who got their "degree" poolside at a 5-star hotel in less than a week.  It is in their economic interest to over-weight food, and spread lies.  And, they are doing a good job of it.