Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV positive - herpes or shingles

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV positive - herpes or shingles

I was diagnosed with hpv after an abnormal pap test about 5 years ago. my last two pap test have come back normal and about 3 months ago I was tested for STDs (just as a precaution, no symptoms) all came back normal.  I have had only 2 partners in the last 6 years.  A week ago I woke up with severe back pain and a rash on my lower back just above my pant line and on my left thigh. (I had experienced sharp pains in my left thigh a few days before but didn't think anything of it). By the time I decided to call my doc it was the weekend so I spoke to the doctor on call over the phone (the pain was very bad) and he diagnosed me with shingles.  I've been taking antivirals and hydrocodone (sp?) for the back pain (the pain isn't exactly where the rash is, its more on the side of my back and upper hip) which after 5 days has gotten better, but is not gone.  I went to the doctor today who took a blood test for herpes... this totally freaked me out - does genital herpes cause pain? Also, its not on my genitals at all -- there is a spot that is along the edge of my panty line but the rest is patches of rash down the back of my thigh and its only on the left leg, nothing on the right.  I'm freaking out... what are the chances it could be herpes? Does the fact that I have HPV make me more susceptible? I only had the strains that cause cervical cancer - not the ones that cause herpes...
Tags: shingles, HPV, rash
if ur doc is telling u this is shingles b-lieve it.no hpv does not make u more prone to shingles..HPV also does not cause herpes!genital herpes lesions r painful and around the genitals...just wait for the herpes test results..sounds like a annoying painful case of shingles!