Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
HPV

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

HPV

Last year, beginning of 2009 i had a Pap test that came back abnormal (1st time ever),they called it ASCUS.  My dr said I had HPV.  I thought it was the end of the world of course not knowing anything about HPV at the time.  I had the procedure where they removed some cells from my cervix to have them tested for cancerous cells (forget the name of the test).  All came back good.  I had a repeat pap 6 months later which came back normal and then another pap 6 more months later that was abnormal again. My husband and I did have sex the night before my pap even though I know better than that and that they tell you not to.  For whatever reasons it was abnormal again so I had yet another pap 6 more months later where it came up normal.  I have never had any warts.  I have been in the same monogomous relationship for 4 years now.  My question is...if my paps continue to be normal is the hpv gone?  And if my husband most likely has/had HPV then if mine is gone can he re infect me (will we keep giving it to each other back and forth) or will his go away in time too?  If I haven't had warts yet with the diagnosis of HPV could I still get them later?
There are different types of HPV one causes lesions on the cervix and the other causes warts. You can have both but your doctor should be able to tell you which one you have. Normally the HPV will clear out of your system within 2 years. One way to stop reinfection is to use condoms. Call your doctor ask which one you have that should give you some more answers so you know what to expect.
Use condoms for a while until you both are clear. Has he gone to the doctor to be examined and make sure that he does not have any that need to be treated!  He needs to do so.  You need to use condoms to allow your body to build up your immune system against this. Good luck.