Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
My boyfriend has HPV and genital warts and I don't

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

My boyfriend and I have been together for about a year.  When we started dating he told me he has HPV and genital warts and he was on a medication but was having breakouts almost monthly. We use protection whenever we have sex but his doctor recently increased his medication and he is now saying that he doesn't think we need to use protection due to the stronger meds. I have not had the Gardasil shot or taken any other precautionary measures and I am afraid of not only contracting HPV but also suffering genital warts. Since he is on a strong medication am I still at risk?

Thank you!
HPV is transmitted through skin-to-skin contact, usually during sexual intercourse. It can also be transmitted through oral sex. So chances of transmission of HIV are there in your case.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Get the vaccine if you are under 26. The medication only removes the warts and boosts his immune system. You probably have been infected anyway since condoms offer 50% protection and he had sex with you with active warts. Really he should have waited until the warts were gone before having sex with anyone. Not only for your sake but his as well. You should assume you have been infected. After his warts are gone for 6 months, you either should continue to practice safe sex or go for unsafe sex with the assumption you have it too. And then share this virus with him for the rest of your lives.