Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Oral to genital transmission

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Oral to genital transmission

Hello, a few months ago I had a brief 30 second encounter in which a female started to perform unprotected oral sex on me.  Immediately afterwards I started what I've heard gracefromHHP refer to as the "crotch watch".  A day or so afterwards when I started looking more I noticed a single small bump on my shaft.  I haven't found any pics on the internet that look similar but it sort of resembles and ingrown hair that I had before but smaller.  It honestly could have been there prior to all of this and it's entirely possible as I didn't begin checking my genital area multiple times a day until after this event.  It's quite small and unless you are checking yourself closely you could overlook it.    

Since there was some contact, albeit briefly, we have both since had STD testing and all results negative.  I did have a healthcare professional look at the bump and her opinion was that it was not anything STD related.  She said she didn't think it should be a cause for concern.  She also didn't think it was warranted but did mention that if I wanted a more definitive diagnosis then I should see a dermatologist.  My biggest fear is that it could be HPV and possibly a wart (although from what I have read and seen it doesn't suggest that).  What are the risks of transmitting the two strains of HPV that cause genital warts from having oral sex performed on you?

Searching on here I have read a few informative posts (links below) regarding this topic but the information is a bit dated (2010-2011).  I was wondering if the data is still good or are there new findings in the area?

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/HPV-and-ORAL-SEX-CONCERNS/show/1140912
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/HPV-fingering--receiving-oral-sex/show/1434488

see the dermatologist so you get better answers instead of sitting at home wondering and letting your anxiety about it grow!!!

grace
Hello grace, thanks for the response.  You are right and I have set up an appointment with a dermatologist but I can't get in until next month.  So in the mean time I need an off switch for my brain!  I have read that transmission that way is unlikely but the post was a few years old.  Like most overly anxious people on here I think I need to try to find something else to think about.  I guess the dr. visit I already had should have made me feel a little better...
come to my house - lots to clean, lots of painting to get done that I keep putting off and if you know how to install new flooring - you'd be my favorite person on earth :)  I'd keep you too busy to worry about all of this :)  
Stuff like that is exactly what I need lol!  Okay, last question on this topic.  I read a post from 2009 (posted by a gentlemen who had a similar encounter) and Dr. Handsfield stated that a genital wart wouldn't appear that quickly after exposure.  Is that still a pretty valid statement

Okay so about the painting and flooring... When can I start? :)
I'll be outside doing yard work - just come on over and start the inside work :)

correct, a newly acquired hpv infection wouldn't present with symptoms that quickly.

turn off your computer and stop adding to your anxiety!!  
Hello again grace, got that painting done yet?  :)  I just wanted to update.  I went to see the dermatologist today and was pleased to find out that the place is a common cyst.  He explained what it was and also said we could remove it anytime if it really bothered me but there was no reason for concern.  

So on to my last two questions related to HPV if you don't mind.  This brief encounter made me realize that I didn't want to date adventurous girls and since I have happily entered into an exclusive relationship with a great girl. Along with this exclusive relationship I would like to eventually experience unprotected sex with her.  We have both had our STD tests and the results were negative for everything so we're good there.  But that really just leaves me with fears of HPV (which I could be worrying more than necessary).

I just want to move forward happily with her so my last two questions are:

1)  Can I put this silly brief encounter behind me now and not worrry about HPV and warts?  In particular I don't want to worry about penile warts from this brief oral encounter.    

2)  She has mentioned wanting me to perform oral on her and I would really like to do that (it excites me too).  But, after everything I have read on medhelp lately I am kind of scared to do so (I guess mainly because of HPV).  Should I just relax and not worry if we are going to be in an exclusive relationship?

Thanks again!

I have to spackle some drywall areas yet. usually takes me 3 tries to get it smooth enough to paint and not see it....lol

I would certainly put this encounter behind you.

thankfully most cases of hpv infection, regardless of area, never progress into cancer.  I know it's never kept me from enjoying oral sex - either giving or receiving!    has your gf had her gardasil shots? have you?
It is reassuring that most infections don't lead to anything serious like cancer, thankfully.  Unfortunately neither one of us have had the gardasil shots :(.  I think the age cutoff is 26 from what I read and we have both missed that by about 3 1/2 years. I guess the reasoning is that by ages over 26 you more than likely have been exposed to some strain(s) of HPV already?  Shame we both weren't more knowledgable on the topic years ago!

It's very refreshing to hear your take on the matter.  She is a really great to be around and I don't want to make her feel awkward by acting like I'm scared to touch her or eventually give her oral (I'm picturing the white biohazard suits from the movie E.T. lol).  

So basically don't be scared of her and HPV isn't an issue to worry about in a way to potentially make this relationship awkward.  We have been tested for everything we can be tested for at least so I guess that is sufficient to be called sexually responsible?  
correct - unless you are very sexually naive over that age, odds are you've already had a couple of the types of hpv that are covered in the vaccine.

I actually just made a journal post on this today if you haven't read it yet. Found an article that I thought put it all nicely into perspective :)  

I think with a couple of strong drinks, you could pull off the sex in biohazard suits rather sexily....he he he