Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Psychological Aftermath of HPV

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Psychological Aftermath of HPV

Hey everyone! I just posted this question to the Doctors forum as well, so be sure to follow their responses over there, but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this sort of thing... not letting go and worrying about every little bump you see. This will likely be most applicable for the "veterans" of the forum, the ones that have stuck around, even after clearing the virus. People don't talk about it, but there are psychological effects associated with HPV that carry on well after the hard work is over... Anyway, here's what I asked. Am I being a complete idot?

To give you a brief background of my history, I was last diagnosed with a genital wart in August 2010. I've had regular checkups with my doc, during which he has not seen any warts. He's described me as "clear".

On December 30, I noticed a small bump on the right side of the shaft of my penis, about 2.5 inches from the base. The bump was small, raised, but nowhere near as big as my past warts, and not cauliflower textured. Also, nowhere near where I had my warts when I was treated before. I went to a D.O. who has experience treating STDs, and he took a look (magnified and with light) and said that it wasn't a wart. He couldn't say definitively what it was, but he was sure it wasn't a wart. His official diagnosis: rash (because he didn't know what else to put).  

Still, my mind wouldn't rest. I went back to my original doctor. He looked and said "yeah, that's not a wart, it looks like an enflamed oil gland or something." Having my regular doctor tell me that put me at ease for a month. However, this past Thursday, I looked at it, and although it hadn't changed (in fact, it seems to have gotten smaller after the edges sort of dried and flaked off), I again became worried . I went back to my regular doctor, and again, he put my mind at ease by telling me it wasn't a wart (he magnified and lit the area and gave the same Dx). I took some comfort in that, but I still find myself worried.

I know that a) TWO doctors have told me it isn't a wart , b) it isn't anywhere near where my warts appeared before, c) it is no bigger than the tip of a pen (and seems to be smaller than before)

My question: As doctors, what would you recommend for getting past the psychological worry that comes with freaking out over every bump. I've taken steps to get psychological counseling to deal with this, but I am curious about how you would deal with a patient like me to put their mind at ease about this sort of thing.
Diagnosis of genital warts is usually clinical, made by visual inspection. Genital warts can be confirmed by biopsy but Sometimes we can use an enhancing technique called acetowhitening. This technique involves the application of 5% acetic acid solution to the area of suspicion for about 5-10 minutes. Infected areas will turn white.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Lol, that comment... did he even read your post?!  

Das, I can completely understand where you are coming from even though I feel I am lucky enough to not be going through it myself.  Maybe that's because I haven't had any supsicious bumps arise that lend to anxiety about it.  Kind of interestingly strange I'm not worried considering the intense worry I had the whole time I had the infection and also during the six months after my last treatment.  

My question is, did you have fear before the bump appeared this last time?  For me, I could see getting really weird about any bump that might appear, but since I haven't had any in over a year now I am convinced that my infection ran it's course as science says it will and that is that in my head now.  I'm way cool to not disclose it with any potential partners and I feel not moral weirdness for having unprotected sex with someone now.  Would I make a habit of it with girls I don't know?  Hell no.  

Anyway, I feel my psychological batlle was all during the infection and now that it's gone I'm over it.  That's my two cents.