Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
Recent HPV Diagnosis

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

Recent HPV Diagnosis

Hi!  I am 40 years old and I just found out I have HPV.  To be very specific my report says HPV DNA (HIGH RISK) DETECTED.  I can say the past three years have been very tough going through a divorce (20 year relationship), taking care of a new job, kids, and son on.   To put some icing over the cake, I have this diagnosis.  

As soon I found out, my Dr schedule a colposopy.  He said not to freak out, that HPV was very common (still is a STI, how not to freak out!?).  During the procedure he said my cervix was very inflamated, he took three samples (just to make sure since said he didnt saw anything unsual) and confirmed I had a vaginal infection.  This put me in a position where many questions comes to my mind:
1.  Are the initial results 100% final?   The results came from my initial PAP test.  The report says Molecular Testing Results - HPV DNA (HIGH RISK) Result DETECTED
2.  Does the vaginal infection have anything to do with the HPV? Is there a chance that the infection may be giving a false HPV result?
3.  I have read there is no cure to HPV.  Does that mean I will infect every person I get intimate with from now on?
4.  Can I person be infected from just one unprotected intimate moment?
5. I don't want to suggest where I got it from but there is a part of me that feel very guilty.  Should I tell my exhusband (which left me to date another and currently is still dating dating her)?   Should I tell my current boyfriend about this?  How will they know if they have the virus too?
6.  If the virus goes doormant, does this means it still infects others?  does it means it dissapeared?
7. Should I keep my bathroom for myself and not share it with my kids.  My children love to take showers and bubble baths at my bathroom.  Yesterday I was freaking out so much, I even clean the bathtub after taking a shower.  
8. What vitamins I should I take to boost my system?
9. What you think will happen after the colposopy? Can this test confirm it is not a HPV and is merely a huge infection?
Some answers....

3. For 90% of the infected, your body's immune system will clear the virus and make it dormant (not gone) within 6-24 months. You are not infectious then however you may be infectious again someday. Could be 10-20 years from now. And that's the reason why people should have safe sex and get the vaccine if they are young enough. Condoms offer 50% protection from spreading it, but its better than 0%  

A: Yes.

5. Unless they get warts, they will never know. Men cannot be tested for it. They should assume they have what you have. Heck, they may have given it to you!  Should you tell them?  Yes. But do also tell them that nearly every sexually active person has been exposed to it multiple times. It is un-avoidable. If they have slept with more than 3 partners, they have it. This is why men should stop saying they are "clean" if they are active. This isn't logical.

6. A dormant virus does not infect others however it can become active again without you knowing it and so the risk of infection remains.

A: Vitamin C with Bioflavonoids (at least 1000 MGs, maybe 1500 but only do 500MG at a time so you don't pee it out), Zinc, multi-vitamins, Folic acid, E, A, B+, herbal supplements, etc. Get more rest, exercise, avoid stress, eat healthy, stop smoking cigs, reduce booze intake, etc. All of this helps boost the immune system. I am a big fan of these supplements below.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-superior-herbs-agaricus-blazei-mushroom-extract-500-mg-90-veg-caps

Swanson products seem to work better for me than others in terms of stomach concerns. Or go to a Vitamin Shoppe store. This is not the end of the world nor the end of your sex life. Keep getting tested and in a few years you may get a neg result. Whether you tell new partners or not is up to you. Most doctors will say not to say anything because so many have it anyway. If you do say anything, you need to explain the facts. If your partners admit to being sexually active, how could they not have it too?