Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Community
ok so i have genital warts..now what?!?!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding HPV issues such as: genital warts, causes, diagnosis, cervical cancer, HPV in men, PAP tests, treatment, telling your spouse or partner

I've had genital warts for about 4weeks but was just officially diagnosed today. The past 4 weeks have been hell but i was in a sort of denial about it. I kept tellin myself it had to be just a rash, or an outbreak from the UTI meds i was taking. Unfortunantly when the warts spread, i knew i could wait no longer. My entire anus was surrounded by warts and they had spread to my inner thighs. I was crying every night trying different creams.
When i went today, my doctor took one quick look and she said, "they have to be laser removed, there's just to many" i literally broke down and cried in her arms. After consoling me which took awhile, she told me 3 out of every 5 sexually active people have HPV. Not all of those people know it and may never know it. Its a very common STD. Her sweet and true words did nothing for my manic state.
I'm 28 and have had 4 partners. One of which i was in a 10year relationship with. I'm not sure who i contracted it from but now my question remains....NOW WHAT?!?!
My ex (of 10yrs) and I are wanting to get back together, but how do i tell him? For all i know, he could have gave it to me unknowingly. This particular virus can be in your system for YEARS before it ever shows its ugly side. Thats really scary!
I feel so ashamed, disgusted, hurt, angry, etc...The list could go on...How do you tell someone you have a virus that WILL NEVER go away?
Make sure that she biopsies one to make sure that they are genital warts. There are lots of skin conditions that can mimic them. It is possible you got this from your ex. And I'm not sure what your Dr. said but usually after the warts are clear and have been clear for 6 months, they are usually gone for good. I know you are upset but HPV is common for anyone that is sexually active and it clears up for most people and then they never have a problem again.
In 90% of cases, the body’s immune system clears HPV naturally within two years.  But, sometimes, HPV infections are not cleared and can have HPV even if years have passed since he or she had sexual contact with an infected person.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I had an HPV breakout when I was 17 from my exhusband (i know for a fact he gave it to me cause he admitted it after several months). Now today (6 years later) I have had the tests done(pap smear and blood) and my doctor says he doesnt see HPV in my system anymore. I am hopeful and I trust my doctor that I am clear of the virus and I hoep someday you can be too.

Suggestion....improve your lifestyle as best you can, exercise and eat healthy. Help your body to build strength and your immune system to get strong as possible and maybe your body will clear the virus. Goodluck
im in a similar situation to you at the moment, last year when me and my ex broke up and i turned in to a right mess, i noticed i had a small lump, i thought it was a shaving bump or something but as it got bigger i got more concerned, i then had to pluck up the extreme nerve and courage to ask my ex if he had genital warts, he got checked out straight away, he had warts, id never noticed them at all but he said he had had the warts for as long as he remembers he thought it was just his skin. i could have killed him. my doctors now operates on a 'call at 8am for a morning appointment or 12 for a afternoon one, same day only' policy, which makes it incredibly hard to get an appointment, specially as im busy with university, i cant exactly take a day off for the chance of gettin a appointment (tried and failed several times) and the times i have actually had an appointment ive then come on my period so couldnt go. Ive noticed they have naturally got better, and worse. i feel totally and utterly discusted with myself and i hate it fully. whenever ive tried talkin to my ex about it he fires up in a rage, as if im the one that gave it to him. it made me think that, omg, no one will ever wanna be with me if they knew. but i recently met someone and knew i had to tell him. surprisingly he was really supportive, he went to the local clinic to get as much info as possible about it and theres an injection for males and females that can help prevent them catching genital warts so hes going to do that and im currently recovering from a operation so as soon as i can im going to my doctors to get it sorted once and for all. should have done it alot sooner but now i know its alot easier with someone supporting and understanding and still wanting to be with me knowing that theres a risk.
Hi guys, I was unsure if the lump on my pubic area was a HPV WART. When I did all my research online it said to put vinegar or apple cider Vinegar on the lump and if it turns white than it isa genital wart. This happen 2 weeks ago. I found my self getting depressed and in shock because I am not a very sexual active person. I felt as if it was all over in some way when i read that once infected you will be infected forever. I then did more research and discovered that yes the virus may live inside of you, BUT if you take good care of your IMMUNE SYSTEM you can kill the virus, and by maintaining your health and system it would not have the strength to recover and become live again. I NOW TAKE MULTI VITAMINS 2 A DAY EVEN THOUGH IT SAYS TO TAKE ONE AND I ALSO EAT "CHAI SEEDS" (it contains omega 3 potassium and iron) I also eat bananas and try to consume AS MUCH FRUITS AND VEGETABLES  ON A DAILY BASIS. A 20 min work out daily is also very helpful  to the immune  system. To GET RID OF THE WART, I soaked Apple Cider VINEGAR on half of a cotton ball, Placed the cotton ball on the wart and slept with it over night. The next day when I took it off My Wart was White UP UNTILL it dried up 30 mins later it was black. I took a show and REPEATED THe SAME method and when I woke up and removed the tape with the cotton ball soaked in Apple Vinegar it Looked BIGGER, MORE IRRITATED, AND BLACK.  I assumed i made a MISTAKE  and it was going to Spread. I went in to panic mode and went to do more research on any website possible I was up for 3 days until Approximately 10am.   I read that that was normal and was supposed to get worse when treated before it got better. It has been a week since i started treatment and I clean the area and the dead wart daily with Peroxide Daily and it is now a very Small DEAD BLACK TINY WART. I could pull it out but Letting it fall off will assure you that it will be officially DEAD. IT IS A HUGE RELIEF TO SEE IT AT ITS FINAL STAGE GOING AWAY. THIS WHOLE EXPERIENCE MAKES ME WANT TO STAY HEALTHY FOREVER AND GIVE Y BODY SOME SORT OF EXERCISE TO MAKE SURE IT WONT EVER COME BACK AND THIS IS ALL A WAKE UP CALL TO TAKE CARE OF MY SELF, CUT DOWN ON CIGARETTES AND ANY DRUGS. I did not find not one article that gives all this information, SO I had to read everything out there. I NEVER thought i would deal with this or go through such a horrifying time. AN HPV IS THE MOST COMMON STD AND IS TRANSFERRED FROM SKIN TO SKIN CONTACT. SO A TIP= WEAR A CONDOM AND KEEP YOUR BOXERS ON TO ANY SKIN TO SKIN CONTACT.
I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WILL WORK FOR FEMALES BUT IT WILL WORK FOR MEN. IT MAY STING BUT BE A MAN AND KILL THE VIRUS BEFORE IT SPREADS. I HOPE THIS INFORMATION CAN RELIEV READERS WHO ARE INFECTED.
TO CHECK IF IT IS A WART APPLY VINEGAR 3 TIMES EVERY TEN MINUTES AND IF IT TURNS WHITE IT IS A WART. BE ADVISED SOMETIMES THE TEST WONT BE VALID AND WONT TURN WHITE IF THE WART IN FLAT AND VERY VERY SMALL(smaller than the red tip of a match). AGAIN THIS IS VERY COMMON TO HAVE DO NOT FREAK OUT . 50% OF SEXUALLY ACTIVE PEOPLE 16-28 YEARS OLD ARE INFECTED. AND 70% OF WOMAN BY THE AGE OF 60 WILL BE INFECTED. THEIR ARE 100 DIFFERENT TYPES OF HPV STRAINS. THE ONLY DANGEROUS AND RARE STRAIN WILL CAUSE CERVICAL CANCER. DO NOT HAVE SEX OR MASTERBATE UNTILL YOUR WARTS ARE GONE!!!!! HOPE THIS HELPS GIVE YOU PEICE OF MIND AND ACTUAL UNDERSTANDING OF THIS COMMON BUT DISTURBING VIRUS.
You are very lucky girl. I found out that I had genital warts last year which I had been on the treatments for over 4 months but it never went away. I stopped the treatments at the end of last year and at the early of this year I found out that all the warts were gone. I think it's because I had worked out a lot then, and broke up with my ex so I didn't have sex for awhile. That's the point, you should't have sex if you still have warts, that makes them spread worse. But unfortunately last month I checked my vagina as I always do and found out that I got it back. It's not as big and as many as it used to be, I got only one little wart, and it's bothering me because I'm meeting this guy I have been talking to for like 2 years for the first time and I guess we're going to have sex and well since I knew that genital wards spread sexually, I'm really worried that I will pass it to him. I love him so much and I don't wanna be selfish. I don't know what to do, I'm going to operate it off this week, but I still think even after I get rid all of the warts but somehow I still have the HPV in my blood. I don't know if I should tell him or not, just thinking that he's going to hate me and think that I'm disgusting. This is a hard time, and I don't know how to live life after this with someone I love when I know that I am going to pass HPV to them, even my future-husband :/
Informing future lovers is a personal decision. If they have been sexually active (more than 3 lovers), he has been exposed to it too. Explain the facts to him and if he hates you for this and he has been sexually active then he is a fool.  Basically unless you date and marry a virgin, this isn't a big deal.
How can you even consider sex with someone you are meeting for the first time?????? It is YOUR responsibility to tell HIM! It is completely unfair and wrong of you not to inform your potential partner!! TRUST ME...my husband didn't tell me until after we were married that he had a STD.  Thank God he cheated on me and divorced me.  I was afraid for months to go get tested.  I wasn't dating so I didn't really feel it was important at the time! But it ALWAYS lingered in the back of my mind what if I have this STD??? I can't begin to describe the hurt, anger, embarrassment and depression that it put me through!! How would I handle it, would I ever find someone to accept that, would I ever get married again?? I was only 31!  I HATED HIM!!! After 7 months I decided to go have blood test for every STD known to man.  Thank God I tested negative for everything!! It has been has been almost 10 years and I still have a hate for that man.  Point is..it is NOT YOUR CHOICE to possibly effect someone's life like you could.  He deserves the TRUTH AND NOTHING LESS!!!
I'm so scared. I've been diagnosed with it also. I saw a sexual health nurse and she told me that I had them. The world has come crashing down on me. I haven't been able to sleep, eat or do anything since. I've been so scared that I wake up in the middle of the night, with my heart racing.

I received treatment on my initial visit. The lady froze them but it just seems they've increased in numbers. Each time I see a new one I get more scared and I panic. I just wanna die now. Whats the point??