Hysterectomy Community
Fibroids, abdominal gas and weakness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Fibroids, abdominal gas and weakness

Hello, I am new to this and would like to know if there are any women out there who have fibroids and have experienced excess stomach gas symptom caused by the Fibroid. My gas symptom is so bad, it spreads to the chest and causes HORRIBLE chest pressure.

I'm 38 and have had a fibroid for over 15 years. Since it never really bothered me except for the heavy periods with large clots, I sort of dismissed it as "normal" and will go away when I reach menopause. Unfortunately, the past year has been hell for me. I developed stomach gas problems that are so bad I sometimes mistake it for a possible heart attack (I have a cardiologist who has done all sorts of EKG, Stress test and Echo on me and ruled out heart disease). The gas symptom is a 24 hour event and is making my life so miserable. I can't tolerate the gas in my chest. I've seen a GI Dr. who did an endoscope and ruled out ulcer or any kind of stomach disorder. I even have tried all sorts of medications for reflux/gas like Nexium, Prilosec, Maalox, Gas-X, Zantac, etc. but NONE of them helped. I eat very healthy and avoid foods that are acidic and cause gas. To make matters worse, I started feeling very weak and couldn't pinpoint my weakness to anything specific until I took a blood test and realized my Hemoglobin level was about 8 indicating Anemia. I have been on Iron supplements and even went for an iron infusion once. The weakness disappeared. My Hemoglobin level went to a 11.3. Recently, I went into an ER for heart palpitations and saw that my hemoglobin level is now a 10.9. Is this level low enough to cause weakness related to Anemia? I am at my wits end with all these stomach gas issues. I saw another Gastrointestinal specialist last week, he did a stomach exam on me and said he said my Fibroid is huge (uterus dilated to 24 weeks pregnancy size) and it's possible my Fibroid is causing my stomach gas issues. I was shocked. Is it possible for a fibroid to cause THIS MUCH problems especially the excess gas in my upper stomach that radiates to my chest?? Someone help!!!

Tags: Chest, anemia, Gas
You in addition to seeing the doctors you are should see a gynecologist. a24 week uterus is very large.You are right and wise that you do need to deal with the anemia. I am not qualified to tell you on-line if its related to you anemia.....

I can tell you theres a few common causes of anemia vitamin B12 defficiency is one another if too much blood loss.

As for you final question is it "possible" your fibroid is causing/contibuting to your other problems ? Maybe in the grand scheme everything in the human body is connected and related to one another , a problem in the reproductive system COULD cause problems in other systems..Get to a good gyno asap and share all your information take any printed reports you have, tell him/.her of all over the counter , vitamins, herbals, and prescriptions you are using.
Good luck I believe your close to getting to the bottom of this.  Sounds like a case for Dr. House.!!!!!
Ok....one more thing just because THEY have ruled out heart problems do not assume they are correct if you have chest pain keep right on going to ER until you get a diagnosis.Many more women than men die from their first heart attack and women symptoms are different than a mans please read up on this.
oh yes i have fibroids and the gas is unbearable i know what you're going through!!!! does your stomache also hurt after you east or if you don't eat? the weekkness and fatigue is horrible too. do you get constipated with bouts of diarhea (diarrhea)? that when my fatigue is worse right before the diarhea (diarrhea)!! oh i feel sorry for you. i got my gullbladder (gallbladder) removed because of those chest pains.. didn't help there was nothing wrong with my gullbladder (gallbladder)!! it has to be the fibroids i have also had every test on my stomache and bowels nothing comes up...good luck to you, i'm scheduled for a histerectomy, i hope it helps!!!
Sorry to hear that you have similar issues Jann15. I do have what you have described but I don't have any diarrhea. I am exploring the possibility of small bacterial intestinal overgrowth, SIBO. Too much bacteria in the small intestine can cause of the symptoms we are having. Unfortunately, many GI doctors do not check for it. It can easily be diagnosed with an hydrogen breath test. I am seeing another GI Dr. soon and will ask for this, I also want to explore parasites. Who knows? I had an hysterectomy over a month ago. It helped to relieve the pressure and bloating but it didn't fix the issues completely. Maybe it will over time,I don't know. Will have to wait and see. If you haven't already done this, I suggest you check out and join Hystersisters. It's free and a wonderful site for women who want to have and have had hysterectomy. Plenty of free advice and discussion forums. I am glad I joined it before my surgery. It helped to know what to expect better than a Dr. could share. It's at www.hystersisters.com.
I actually meant Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth. I believe there's an article on it in Medhelp.
check out MHs new symptom tracker, its on the right hand side of all pages, You can add or subtract symptoms at will, It can be a usefull tool as it gives you a possiblity of what the symptoms could indicate. therefore you can be more informed , its rather easy to use, give it a try !!!
YES the anemia is a common companion to uterine fibroids and YES I have a huge one, two with one GIANT pedunculated one that sits in my abdominal area and another small one in the pelvic area. I have had gas and constant burping and pain for more than 24 hours. I feel full all the time but it is painful and I cannot sleep on my stomach. It feels as if a foot is pressed up against my chest and into my tummy causing the gas.

I plan on having surgery as soon as I can to remove the fibroids and hopefully return to a normal life, my normal weight and size and to make way for BABIES! The fibroids are no fun. I have been aware of mine and had many life altering problems because of them for four years now.
I've been newly diagnosed with fibroid tumors and I have gas so much that it is embarrassing. do anyone know any over the counter medications that I can take
my gas is terrible let me know if there is any over the counter medications
I know its been a few years, I have the same symptoms. Did your hysterectomy help?