Hysterectomy Community
Nerve damage after hysterectomy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Nerve damage after hysterectomy?

I had a hysterectomy with removal of both tubes and ovaries 7 months ago.  It was done laparoscopically/vaginally.  2 weeks postop I hemorrhaged due to a pelvic hematoma and was rehospitalized.  That pain was incredible.  Since then, I have had shooting pain down the low back, buttocks and down both legs; sometimes causing my right leg to buckle.  At times, the pain will shoot up into my right side and arm even with stretching or leaning forward.  I saw a neurologist who has started me on gabapentin which helps somewhat, but doesn't find or fix the cause.  As well, in my research on gabapentin, I see a possible link to pancreatic cancer and am quite startled as I am an 11-year breast cancer survivor.  Any thoughts on the cause of this nerve pain considering the length of the time it has remained?
Welcome to our community, I must say how sorry I am that you had such an experience.

I have some thoughts, and I think Im right , we are volunteers not Drs , so you must follow up and check this out w /dr , I will advise.

Your seeing the correct specialist, good for you. What has Dr said about Sciatic Nerve damage? sound like problem to me...they can do a EEG to determine this.

I think maybe you should find a new neurologist get another opinion. Remember on all medications, any reported side effect ( proven) must be listed....I am not knowlegable on med you mentioned, but the pancreatic cancer rate needs to be known is it 1 percent or less or higher...you need to ask dr the esact amount. Pancreatic cancer as your likely aware is one of the worst ones.

I think there is a very good chance a surgical error , nicked the sciatic nerve. symptoms fit.

good luck

Cherie
Thank you ~ I have been doing yoga and physical therapy stretches, and I have an appt. on Monday for a Feldenkrais therapy session.  It's similar to an osteopathic manipulation, but treats the entire body with it's alignments and is a gentle therapy.  I am hoping to somehow get my low spine off the nerve; walking is getting more challenging at times throughout the day.  I see the neurologist again in May (though may call and ask about getting an EEG).  The pancreatic cancer link is daunting.  I plan to ask the pharmacist about it shortly.  I found the cancer link just googling "gabapentin side effects".

Thank you for your comments.  They are encouraging me that I'm going in the right direction.

Blessings ~
Mickey
Your welcome, and I do think your making good decisions and moving in the right direction.