Removal of cervix
Hello. I had my menopause at 40 and due to heavy bleeding I had to have a partial hysterectomy.  I'm divorced and had not had sex for 4 years.  I had sex once with a new BF and it was very painful.  I bled enough for a 4" stain on the sheet.  I took a 3 day vaginal antibiotic to prevent infections and am feeling OK now, but scared of painful vaginal sex.  There were no visible external tears and the pain seemed inside the vagina.  My question is, if the GYN exam shows lesion on the cervix should I consider having surgery to remove it ?  What effect would this surgery have on my sex life?
By partial hysterectomy, do you mean uterus and ovaries, or just uterus? And you did have an exam that showed lesions on your cervix?
If you have your ovaries they are still producing hormones which is good for your sex drive.
Yes, your cervix can be removed. Are you wondering if this will make your sex drive go down if you have it removed?
Hi, remar.  Thanks for answering my question.  I'm positive that I still have my ovaries and that they are healthy.  I will have a cervix exam with my GYN in about a month.  If she finds a cervix lesion and the options are to cauterize the cervix or remove it, does any of these procedures affect the sex drive?  Which one would you think is best?  On the other hand, if she finds a tear in my vagina (which is what I think she'll find), can those be sutured or treated --depending on the size?  If not too serious and we keep careful sex practices, can it be expected to seal itself ?
I would recommend not having sex until your get in to see your Gyno. It would be great if you could get in to see her much sooner in case there is a tear. Depending on how deep the tear might be, it may need treatment. Then again, it could be a very small tear that needs to just heal by it's self. That's why I'm saying you should probably wait to have sex until you see her. Because you have no idea if it needs treatment or not.
That's good to hear that you still have your ovaries.
The only thing you can do right now is wait to see what your Gyno says about your cervix. The less invasive the better in my opinion, if that's an option.   Remar
Thanks, remar.  You have been incredibly helpful and your comments makes a lot of sense.
Your very welcome. We're always here to help any way we can. I hope you doing better.
Follow-up.  My BF and I are travelling and that's why my visit to my GYN cannot be just now.  He agreed that we should avoid vaginal sex until I see my GYN.  I'm not obsessing over this, but I'm curious to know if after 4 years without sex and many more without hormone substitutes of any kind my vagina and cervix could have shrunk a lot.  That's what it felt like to me, at the time of my vaginal tear and bleeding, as if he was ramming against a wall. He is large but not excessively. When I asked him about how it felt for him, he said that to him it felt normal, pleasurable and never dry (just being kind?). Your opinion on vagina and cervix shrinkage, please?