Hysterectomy Community
bloating or gaining weight after surgery??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Is it normal to be bloated or feeling like I am gaining a pound everyday after surgery? It's only been 5 weeks since my hysterectomy, and I'm not eating much since then either. My same clothes I have been wearing are getting tighter and tighter. How can things change this fast?? Yes I am not as physical right now, but I am "puffed up" more than normal. I'm still in pain sometimes, but trying to take care of myself the best I can. I would love to hear from other's about their post hysterectomy situations.  Thanks....Shannon.
I had my surgery a little over a week ago and I am still bloated. I think the bloating is normal. Do you have a six week follow-up with your GYN? You should have. Just to be on the safe side, I would call your doctor and ask these questions, or you could even ask his nurse. I have heard that the bloating is normal, even after that many weeks, but I would still call the doctors office.

I know how you feel about the bloating and weight gain! Last Wednesday I had an appointment with my Cardiologist and they weighed me - I had gained weight and the nurse mentioned it too! I was a little depressed over it so I decided I was going to watch what I ate from then on. Well, before I watched what I ate I weighed myself last Friday morning and I lost 6 lbs.! How is that possible? I wondered. I am a little concerned about losing that much weight in only 2 days, and with no effort on my part! So now here I am wondering if THIS is normal to lose! I thought I would be happy about this, but nope I'm concerned instead.

Are you on any hormones yet? If so, maybe the hormones will cause the weight gain, just a guess.
Hello; so glad to hear from you! Thanks for your reply. Yes, maybe I will call the dr's office and ask more questions. But, it's sure nice to have others to chat with that are going through the same things, isnt' it. I do have a follow-up 8 weeks with my gyno who did the surgery and my home doctor for the 6 weeks. It's 5 weeks tomorrow that I had the surgery and I am still feeling sharp pains in pelvic area. They took out my uterus and cervix and left my ovaries in. I am not on any hormones or any meds for this. I feel like I have a strong painful menstrual cycle for 5 weeks!! This surgery was supposed to stop that. They say it's normal to feel like it, but goodness sakes, it's like a 5 week bloating, cramping and painful period!! My clothes are tighter on me, especially my shirts and bra are much tighter on me and I have been eating very well the whole time since surgery and of course, my physical activities are reduced for now. I am afraid I will be stuck like this forever now. When the heck will my body get back to normal, if I can call it that!! How are you feeling since you had your surgery recently? How is the pain for you been? You say you are losing weight. Has your stomach and bowels returned to normal since your surgery? What happened to me right after surgery is my bowels did not work for a few days and of course I did lose a few pounds because of the "jello diet", hahahaha. I lost bit of weight because I was on a liquid and jello dies 2 days before surgery to clean bowels, etc. and it took a bit of time to get me back on track and since I was good after  a week gone by, then I started to notice the puffiness and bloating and of course, the darn pelvic pains. Hope you are feeling well and not in much pain. But for the weight loss, I would think it would be from the change of diet for the surgery and the bowels having to get back to normal for you. I'm only saying this because it is what has happened to me. I look forward to hearing from you again. Take care of yourself !!! Talk to you again soon.  Shannon....
My Vaginal Hysterectomy with cystocel and rectocel repair with replacement sling was one week ago this morning.  I came home on Thursday and was five pounds heavier for the first week.....I was swollen due to being in stirrups in surgery for 4 hours. My thighs were numb the first day or so.  I am feeling great today, sitting here at my computer.  One day i feel 20 years younger and the next day I am tired and achy.  I am 56 yoa and I think this is the best thing I ever did in my life. Since my first prolapse I have had bad to severe back pain and upon waking from anestesia, I knew it was gone!  Its like a miracle to me.
You will have a huge amount of gas! The more you walk the more it will expell relieving you of pain.  I stopped all pain meds but for tylenol two days ago.
My appetite is off but I am eating enough to function.  I am continuing to lose weight....
I have lost the 5 lbs from surgery and an additional 3 lbs as of today.  I am a new woman and can't tell you how much I feared this surgery....I had a wonderful surgeon and horrible nurses.  Do not expect any care after surgery and then you won't be disappointed.  The only time I had good nurses was pre-op..............good luck!
p.s.
if stool softeners do not help get things going, use MilkOMagnesia..........will work like a charm.....;)
I am better than before in that department too now!
Yep it is normal. I had mine this past July and I felt really bloated immediately after the surgery and since then I feel like I gain weight instead of losing it. I too don't each much and yet I can't lose an ounce.
Hello to you too! I am feeling much better. I still do have a little pain here and there, but I think that is normal. As a matter of fact, I haven't taken any pain meds in about a week!

I know how you feel when you say you still get those crampy pelvic pains - I still have them too every once in a while, BUT this could be normal for both of us because I've heard the healing, or being pain free can take from 6 months to a year.

I feel a bit better hearing Madge lost weight! I guess my weight loss is normal then. Hey I could get used to this! LOL!
If I lose weight you should all do well since I am way older LOL....
The thing that gets me, is how wiped out I get so quickly.  I can't be up for very long at all before I need my bed. It is a week today!  My husband has been an absolute Saint! Been marries 35 years and I cannot believe how great he has been.  Best nurse I had thru this entire thing!
I am wiped out too! I don't know how many cat naps I take during the day now, but I take a lot of them. I can also go right to sleep at night even though I had all those naps during the day.

BTW, You aren't way older!!! I really think you are young at heart - like me!
Thanks so much for responding to my question and sharing your thoughts with me and the others in this chat!! Sorry I have not responded as I have been sick wiht flu. Goodness sakes, I am becoming useless on the farm here not being able to get back into my "normal life"!! I am still having the pelvic pains, which have worsened because of throwing up from flu. I have another "personal" question and I am a bit embarrased to ask, but I want to know if I am okay or not..... Is it normal to have discharge after the surgery? and after 5-6 weeks after? Okay, now I'm really embarassed!! Sorry for an odd question, but I don't know if this is still normal?? Thanks again for all your help and great replies. Take care everyone and chat with you again!!  
Goodness sakes! Don't be embarrassed! This is what this forum is here for ;-)

I too have the discharge and I don't know why. I see my gyn doctor tomorrow for my first post-op appointment and this question was going to be the first on my list to ask him. Did your cervix go too or did you keep your cervix? My cervix is gone so I haven't a clue as to why there is discharge.

I will post what my doctor says about the discharge.
Hello again... yes, they took out my cervix and uterus. I still have both ovaries in. I was not expecting to have discharge 5-6 weeks after. Will I have to wear lightday liners forever!!!!! I was surprised I did not bleed much at all after surgery, which I'm happy for. I feel like I will be stuck with this pelvic pain forever. I don't know if I regret getting this or not. The doctor suggested I get the hysterectomy and I was understanding and accepted it. Some people told me not to do it, and others told me its the best thing for me to do and I will be glad I did. I know we all heal in different ways, but I guess I need re-assurance or something because I do not feel happy at this point. Let me know what your doctor says to you about the discharge. Talk to you soon...
Hi there! I sent you a PM. It's all good news! :-)
iam 31 years old and i had a hysterectomy on 02-26-08 and i have loss 13lbs within on week.the fact that my stomach always seems to be bloated and i find it hard to eat the way i did before the surgery.i think that everybody is different but i can say this,it gets better with time.i just want to tell everybody who has gone through this to just stay strong and things will get better.god bless
Yesterday was my 4th week post op and although the smelly discharge is getting less I am still bleeding, and was told this can go on for 6 weeks..........on the other have I gained 2 pounds.......to many apples?
I had my hysterectomy last month (5 feb) during the pre-op part, I was given an excellent booklet from the doctor on what to expect from start to finish including the recovery. My incision was a vertical abdominal and I had my cervix and uterus removed.

The bloating will last a few weeks, and discharge is quite normal, with it being heavier in the 4 week or so. My nurse said expect to use a couple of maxi pads 2-3. The things to worry about are if you need more pads than that, or if the discharge has a very strong foul odour, which could indicate an infection. I had pelvic pains for 3 weeks, probably due to the gas that was still in the abdomin (abdomen), bowels were a little slow for the first week.
I haven,t lost any weight, I get tired if I walk or am on my feet for a long time. Everyones recovery is different, mine so far has been excellent, sounds like we are all healing about the same way.
My surgery was also Feb 5th. Mine was vaginal hysto with cystocel and rectocel repairs.
I have abdominal tenderness, higher than I thought it should be. I am also still bleeding, but I had quite a bot done and they say this is normal, and may be until 6 weeks (sigh)
I have lost count on how many packs of pads I have used. I thought I was done with those 6 years ago(sigh).  I didn't have much pelvic pain really, I was amazed actually that I didnt have more. A twinge in my butt or in vagina, and in a moment its gone. Thats not to bad.  I too get bloated the longer I am up, and my back will hurt, and I read in hystersisters thats expected about week 4 on...until you are more built up with respect to abdominal muscles etc.  Walking and not over doing it is key I think.  
I think we sound like we are doing splendid!
what the.................................
looks like the site is acting up :) or you like writting LOL
LOL I don't know why that did that...............must be a great post hahaha
I'm 36 years old I had a partial hysterectomy on Dec.21-07. As soon as i got out of recovery I was retaining fluid. I have put on 35 pounds ever since my operation, I also quit smoking on Dec.10 that also could be a little part of the weight gain but I don't think the whole 35 pounds.    thanks sue
Welcome to the club.  Everytime I have quit smoking I gained atleast 20 pounds.  The weight looks better on you than the ashen look you get from lack of oxygen from smoking....and you don't stink anymore! Congrats.  I think we gain after surgery from fluid and the puffy belly....when does that go away ????
Hi everyone, My full hysterectomy was 7 weeks ago. I had everything removed. I still feel tired and need to take painkillers every day, i'm very bloated and cant get into any of my jeans which is depressing. I had to practically beg my gynaecologist to give me the op as I had severe pain with fibroids. They also found ovarian cysts after the op which I didnt know I had. He was reluctant as I'm only 36 years old but my quality of life was rubbish. I went for my first real walk today. I was knackered but I want to shift some of the weight I've put on. I'm on HRT patches and havent had a hot flush for 2 weeks! hoorah they must be working. Look forward to any replies
I had surgery Feb 5th and only was able to wear jeans this week....and they were not all that comfortable yet.  Strech pants until you get rid of tummy swelling, and that has not gone all the way away yet.... you have a ways to go...but walking is really going to be beneficial to you. Keep up the good work.  I can't understand painkillers though, thats not right.
From what I've always heard and continue to hear it takes your body a FULL YEAR to get over/recovery 100 % after any major surgery.  I've read and heard the bloating/swelling part you get after a hysterectomy can last up to 1 year too.  I wake up and am one size and by night I'm bigger all over from the swelly belly type thing.  I'm just at my 5 weeks of recovering and no where near putting on regular clothes.  I've had a infection with an abscess inside since surgery and now a infected area in my stitches.  It's been an interesting journey.  

Check out HysterSisters.com also for answers.  

Pains come and go and it's hard to know what's normal and what's not.  We're all so different and experience our own things with recovery.  My surgeon told me before surgery that pain is pain and having surgery doesn't mean I won't ever have pain.  I thought that was kindda weird, but I was also cut off with his nurse coming into the room about another patient.  It was like it was PLANNED that I could have him for questions just so long.  He's known for being a GREAT SURGEON the TOP IN THE AREA, but as for questions....FORGET IT!!!

Good luck to you and I hope and pray you get better to a point you can be happy with.  

Blessings, Sharon :)
Very interesting!  I had my hyst on May 1st of this year.  The bloating is normal for 2-3 weeks, but by about halfway thru week 3, I was washboard flat again.  Of course, this will all depend on whether or not you had a laporoscopic versus abdominal hyst.  Mine was laporoscopic, but abdominal is associated with much longer recovery.

In terms of discharge, interestingly enough, I passed some blot clots within the first 24-48 hours, and have been without a drop of blood since. :-)

In terms of pain, I had none!  Don't get me wrong, if I moved a certain way, there would be soreness, and I'm sure if I forced things, I'd feel a good bit of pain, but it's like if you ever run/worked out and torn/pulled a tendon/muscle... the tendon/muscle would be fine, until I'd try to run ("go past") a certain point... I'd get this "don't go there" feeling and wouldn't force it.

But back to my hysterectomy... funniest thing is I did not even get/need prescriton pain meds after the first 24 hours!!!!!!  MY DOC WAS SO CUTE... HE'S LIKE, JUST USE UP THE VICODIN (ACTUALLY IT WAS "EXTRA-STRENGTH VICODIN" AKA "VICOPROFEN") THAT I GAVE YOU LAST WEEK, WHEN YOU HAD YOUR PERIOD... CALL ME IF YA NEED MORE AND I'LL WRITE YOU OUT A SCRIPT ;-)

I took 5 vicoprofens my first day home; then 4; then 3; then fvck this, I felt fine and went off pain meds... kind of hilarious cuz like, I just had major surgery, yet post-op pain was NOTHING compared to what I would endure during a menstrual cycle (my vicoprofen intake, post-op, was also a fraction of what I'd ingest during the course of a menstrual cycle).

I'm so glad to be free of that...  what else - weight gain.  I went from my perfect running weight of 104 (103.8 lbs. to be exact) on January 28, 2008 and ballooned to 125 by March 25, 2008 (the day my period had returned after the meds that my first gyn had prescribed, which suppressed my cycle, went ineffective in Feb of '08).  After surgery, my overeating problem was cured (I'd been eating 3500-4000 calories/day between Feb-April 2008.  Since surgery, I've been averaging around 2400-2650 cals/day (still A LOT for NO exercise); but I AM NOT GAINING.  In fact, I weighed in at 125 lbs. pre-op, and I am 122 now (probably didn't lose an - just the organ wt., but I didn't gain!).
I have read where it takes up to one year to lose the swelly belly.  I can't seem top lose any weight..........I am going to try harder and walk more and see if that helps.  My stitches still have not dissolved, I think they will be there forever.
I am 28 and  just had a partial hysterectomy last Tuesday July 1. The doctor took it out laporoscopicly. It is really bothering me reading about all of these that have struggled with their weight. I already struggle with my weight and now reading this I am getting depressed. I have been dealing a lot with my stomach swelling and I was wondering if that was only me. My food consuption has gone down a lot, but boy do I feel like I have gained weight. I go back this coming up Tuesday to have mt stiches taken out. One thing that I have notices is that I have had a lot of hot flases, but they didn't take out my ovaries. I am thinking maybe that is from the pain meds. I really haven't had a lot of pain more head aches then anything. I was on a morphin pump at the hospital, but didn't use it. I haven't been too bad so far. I have been a lot more tired then normal.
I had the best laparoscopic hysterectomy in mid-April - took the ovaries, left the cervix.  I was back to work in one week, although I was a little slower moving and couldn't sit for hours.  Three monthes later, there are still twinges of pain on the right side- sometimes worse than other times, some back pain - all normal, according to both the ob-gyn and the family doc.
What I wasn't prepared for was what I guess is bloating, looking 4 mo pregnant, not being able to sit in certain positions without my abdomen pushing into my rib cage, making it hard to breathe.  My bra band size is up two inches and, truthfully, could use another two.  The ultimate insult is the resulting heat rash under and around my breasts.
Vacation is in a week and a half - 500 miles on the back of a motorcycle to Sturgis SD then 500 miles back.
When this first started, it felt like parts of my stomach didn't belong to  me, a sort of "where'd That come from?"
I know I'm whining but I fantasize about poking myself with a big pin to let the air out like a big balloon!
I had my right ovary and fallopian tube removed July 9.  i had a hysterectomy 5 1/2 yrs ago for pcs (pelvic congestion syndrome/vericose veins on the inside like all over the pelvis)  anyways they did it laproscopically and i am miserable.  i look in in the mirror and stare in disbelief b/c that is not my stomach.  its like i have metomorphisized right before my eyes.  i don't remember ever having been so bloated.  i am very tired and can't be up on my feet or sitting up for too long at a time.  

i hope yours gets better

debbie
Hi, Debbie,
I hope that as time passes you find your energy returning.  It's a scary healing process and lasts longer than I would have ever thought.  You're right - that's not my stomach either!  I haven't had a flat stomach for years but I'm in a completely different wardrobe - jeans, shirts, underwear.  It's uncomfortable and embarrassing, but I still feel better than before the surgery.  It just seems like there should be a source of information to say "Here are some helpful remedies."
Did  your bloating result from the first surgery years ago or the recent one?
Hang in there, Debbie.  July's heat and increased activity is tough on a body!
I have had endo. for years and now my cervix is fused and my uterus is inlarged not to mention what ever else might be messed up when they get in there. I am going in for a full hysterectomy AB on Sun at midnight 8-10-08 . I know that it will be painful for a while and recovery will be a long or deal but anything has to be better than this. I vomit after sex from pain . I pass egg size blood clots past the tampon . Cramps are beond help , I was put on 800 mg IBP at 14 y/o because of them. I was toxic w/ both births hummm I wasnt supposed to be able to have kids but I had two . Nevermind the fact I was Birth control to try and help w/ my cramps a cycles .  I just know it has to be better after surgery then it has been for me the past 19 years . I was concerned about the bloating after the surgery and I found this page alittle scary since I am always bloated now.

Can any talk about endo and food intolerance *SPELLING* and how it changed after surgery or if there was no change . I have become lactose intolerent cant eat eggs or bannanas all give me bad bloating and vomitng issues . So I have read , this is linked to endo.?????  
I am sorry on the misspelled  words !

Spring
Hi Ladies,
I can't thank you enough for your thoughts and comments.  I had a radical abdominal hysterectomy (took out cervix, uterus, tubes and ovaries) on October 1, 2008.  I am in my 7th week of post-op and became very depressed today.  I, too, am experiencing the "swelly belly" and am wearing clothes 2 sizes bigger than before surgery.  I have to go back to work at the end of this week and am beside myself.  I still have the pelvic pressure and pulling.  I have trouble walking any kind of distance, which is doubly upsetting as a ran (well maybe a fast walk...) a 5 K 2 just weeks before surgery (It was a goal I had set for myself for my 50th birthday).  Anyway, all of your comments have let me know that I am not alone in all of this. I am hoping to hear that gradually, you all are feeling better and that things are returning to normal.
The best to ALL of you!
i had a vaginal hysterectomy last week ... 25th may to be exact ... and i have found this forum very helpful indeed .... after reading i tried on my jeans and thank god they are low rise .... still fit ... lol ..... but i must confess the bloating is rather uncomfortable but i am also glad it is part of the recovery process and hopefully will pass soon .... many thanks to all of you who parted with information ... would have not known where to turn to for advice .... thank you and cheers
I had my total hysterectomy a week ago today and ovaries were removed also  and I have had very little pain thank goodness but I am so so bloated it is uncomfortable and was wondering if it was normal seems it is! But what can I do about it as my clothes are so tight   and this is so depressing the last thing you need is to get fat when your going through so much emotions as it is
Its been really interesting to read all your posts,I had a total hysterectomy apart from my ovaries two weeks ago last tues,Im almost beside myself with the bloating.It is so uncomfortable and I look like Im 9 months pregnant.Im so scared that this is going to be a long term problem,Im only 25 and have struggled with my weight for a few years.I just want something I can take that will help relieve some of the gas/bloating.Hope your all recovering ok,x
I had my total abdominal hysterctomy on July 8th. I am in week 5 and I am still bloated as well omg. And I also seem to be getting fatter omg. I am already depressed as it is. I surely don't need this extra added weight. And I too don't seem like I'm eating much. Sometimes I wish I would have not had this surgery at all. And I am not on any hormones either. I have one of my ovaries left. I just don't feel like my feminine self at all.I am so moody and have hot flashes and night sweats too. This has totally changed my life for the worst. Somebody please give me some good news.
HI, I am 1 week post op.  Had surgery Sept. 16, I already feel like I wish I would have never done.  I am realizing how vain I am, I would rather have dealt with the other pain then this discomfort of belly swelling, gas, not being able to have comfortable bowel movements.  I hope at some point by stomach will go down, but reading your comments at 7 weeks still being bloated just makes me feel very depressed.  How are you doing now
I just  had  mine done  on the 19th  of Nov.  The bloating  is killing me  also my  legs  feel heavy  at  times. Some of you say the bleeding lasts  awhile, that  *****.
I was very, very sore after my lavh with a cystocele.  In fact, I could not sit any position on a soft seat, aka recliner or on the bed, without being in a lot of pain.  I think the only place I could actually sit comfortably was on the front step.  I don't know if anyone else has had that problem.  That was 10 weeks ago, day before yesterday.  In case you are wondering, a lavh is a laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy.  
i had a vaginal hysterectomy about a year and a half ago aug 2009. I feel bloated most of the time very uncomfortable is this normal, and is does anyone else suffer from this? I seen my doctor had a bunch of test everything check out ok I need a solution I"m so uncomfortable Thanks
i had a hysterectomy last october (cervix +uterus) and i feel better than before the surgery.   EXCEPT for the serious bloating and painful bowels.  Before surgery, my abdomen was a little bloated. now i have this huge bloated tummy (above my navel) and a bloated abdomen....what is going on...my doctor says i need to give it the full 6-9 months for recovery. I had the new davinic laproscopy

Hello all, I had lower back surgery and gained 3 to 4 inches around my waist. Now I can't fit into most of my clothes. Surgery was back in March. It almost seems the weight gain is permanent for me. I am male and just thought I'd post my experience to show the weight gain issue is not confined to females. I'm not looking forward to spending money on getting a whole new set of clothes.
hey everyone. i am 7 wks post abdominal surgery today where i had uterus and cervix removed due to large fibroid. i have retained my ovaries hence no hrt required. after reading all these comments i feel like i am actually doing ok after feeling like things weren't right. i have had no bleeding or discharge. i am still a little lighter in weight than i was but i have the adominal (abdominal) swelling and tightness and sometimes find it hard to sit comfortably. i have had to take iron tablets hence problems with bowels but i seem to have this now under control but was concerned re: bloating. seems like this is just normal and makes me feel a whole lot better. i have been very tired and lethargic but have been good last few days. i have done a bit of walking but struggled and days out exhaust me the next day. i have had my 6 wk check up with my surgeon and she tells me i need time and not to expect to much.i am to return to work next wk so fingers crossed. thks for all your comments and good luck to all
Hello, I'm taking stool softeners every day as instructed (1 wk - 4 days post opt), but I am so miserable because I can't produce and good bowel movement. I have so much gas that it hurts so bad and trying to have a bowel movement is a 1/2 hour spent on the toilet only to produce nothing or very little. I am so bloated too. Any suggestions? Thanks  
I had a Lap hysterectomy May 17th.  The hormones up to then made me feel and look 5 months pregnant.  After the surgery it felt better but I was very bloated for 6 weeks.  It's not Dec. and I have somehow managed to retain 10 extra pounds all in my abdomen and a bit on the upper inner thighs.  I weight train 5 days a week lifting heavy and sprinkle some cardio in there.  I cut my diet intake in half, no fat, sugar, little carbs... you get the point. At 41 yrs can anyone tell me how the hell to loose what looks like a baby bump.  I'm thinking lipo.
i had a bikini cut hysterectomy in july of this year i have gained 40 pounds hold fluids and major bloating what can be wrong?
Mickey, I too have problem producing good bowel movement and painful bloating.  I had a vaginal hystrectomy last Tuesday (1/31/12), had a good bowel movement 2 days after the surgery and didn't move my bowels till I started trying to produce 2 days later.  That day, I was in and out of the toilet and sat for hours on end but to no success.  Grossly, I even resort to loosen the stools manually and could feel how hard the stools were but was not able to remove them manually.  Fed up & very depressed!   I decided to double the dose on stool softeners (colace) from 3 to 6 pills that day.  I also drank lots of water and a pint of milk.   Historically, I have a mild lactose intolerance.  The next morning, I woke up with a colicky pain in my stomach which I knew was from drinking milk.  I went into the bathroom and was able to produce a bowels.  I took several trips to the bathroom that day but it worked.  Yesterday, I had my husband bought me a bottle of milk of magnesia and it worked like a charm.  I personally think it works better than a stool softener.  My stomach is still bloating and it hurts when trying to pass gas.  The gas comes & goes and when it moves it made my tummy hurts.  
Hi.  I had a total hysterectomy 14 months ago.  The first few months were ok.  But last September I experience a severe cramping on my lower abdomen  It stopped after I had gone to the toilet.  I experienced it again last Nov and slowly became okay after a few days.  From January up to present, the same lower abdominal cramping and heaviness has been troubling me. It is becoming more frequent. Sometimes passing gas relieves the pain.  But for three days now I have the same lower ab heaviness and bloating feeling even after regular bowel movements and passing of gas. This discomfort is also accompanied by a dull lower back pain. I'm confused and scared.  Please help.
People tell me thats the best thing they done is to get the hysterectomy. I had mine done last week, I quit taking pain killers and I feel bloated. My pants use to fit great now there all tight and it gets depressing. But people keep telling me it will go down in two weeks.
I am 4 days post op -full hysterectomy-laproscopic. I too was concerned about first bowel movement. Took the stool softener but also drank Celestial Seasonings Smooth Move tea, which has always helped me. On top of that, have had stewed prunes with oatmeal for breakfast and eating veggies and whole grains for meals. My bowels started working properly 2 days after surgery.
I had a hysterectomy a month ago today.   My uterus and part of cervix was removed. I had fibroid tumors and heavy monthy bleeding.  My iron levels and such were nil.  I realize that the surgery is not a quick fix and will take time to replenish my numbers.  soo far my only concern is the bloating, in the upper part of my stomach...its so uncomfortable..at times, there are times when i feel "normal"  2 weeks after surgery i was 11 lbs heavier than the day i had surgery...i'm afraid to get on a scale.  is this normal?  and how long can i expect it to last>
i should also mention, the extreme tiredness (which i am relating partially to low iron levels)  i cant even call it tired....i am literally exhausted if i attempt to do anything more than shower and make a meal for my husband.  i nap several times a day...and just feel non functional
has it gotten any better...had my hysterectomy a month ago...i look like i'm9 months pregnant...of course tomorrow i could wake up and not feel this way, and 2hours later feel like my stomach will explode
I had a total in July by the Davinci robot so they fill your stomach with gas.  That and the trama caused from surgery, I think would lead to feeling bloated.  I was like that for several weeks post op but it went away.  On top of that I was taking progesterone only to kill any residual traces of endometriosis and it helped me to lose weight.  I lost 14 lbs.  4 weeks ago he switched me to estrogen and I immediately felt larger in the stomach area which scared me, but the other symptoms were more annoying.  I've had constant brain fog since starting estrogen so I've stopped taking it for awhile to see what happens.  I've had no menopausal symptoms so not sure I need estrogen.  I would like to have my progesterone back though!
Hi there.  I'm 38 and it's been 3 weeks since I had my total hysterectomy (took out left fallopian tube and ovary as well as my uterus and cervix).  I'm still sooooooo tired all the time.  I am not "good" with pain and I still take pain medication because I need to.  That doesn't help with staying awake...haha....but you need to rest--listen to your body: when you're tired, lay down and have a rest (doesn't have to be a nap, could just be laying on the couch to watch tv).  So, in my opinion, what you are going through is completely normal, part of the healing process :)
I've read all the commentary and it appears that this site isn't all that active anymore. I had my hysterectomy 4 weeks ago. Still not feeling great. Lots of bloating. I've tried some smoothie recipes to help with digestion; smoothies work well to assist with these issues when you consume goji berries, flax seed banana and Greek yogurt. I suppose my primary issue post op is the tummy swelling and bloating. My doctor told me recently to imagine all the fluids they pumped into me pre surgery. Of course it's going to take awhile to get rid of that fluid. Just don't do anything that will tear my internal stitches. So I can't go out and do cross fit training or run a 5k. I know exercise is the remedy for feeling like crap. And he won't allow exercise other than walking.
Wow that is so interesting...i was reading all these and came across yours. i also have a smoothy every day..with banana, fruits, greek yogurt and flax along with coconut. How funny to see someone else with this. I'm 3 weeks out from a vaginal hysterectomy, still have both ovaries. swelling of the belly is the worst..i don't have much pain..just a little jab here and there...and spotting especially if i over do it...nice to see a current write up. not sure if you will even see this.
Hi I had a robotic total hysterectomy may 1,2013 for cancer. They took out everything including the cervix. The doctor put me on megace to help prevent cancer from spreading. I had positive washing so in a year I will have a laparoscope to check to make sure the cancer hasn't spread. My doctor told me do the surgery and we can cure the cancer. Wishful thinking. I to am drinking fruit smoothies with fresh blue berries, strawberries, blueberries they say that is good for cancer. I did hear flax seeds are good. I to have a swollen belly , I try to walk drink a lot of water still bloated. Not eating a lot but indigested and still fatigue, I have a growth on my pth and will have removed in August maybe that's why I am tired.
I also had a vaginal hysterectomy on 4-24-13 and removed my uterus and not ovaries. I had a prolapsed uterus. I weighed 118 lb before surgery and now 121 lb. My stomach is blotting & stomach has lot of gas.  Pants won't fit any more. Lost my appetite. My discharge has been stopped now so no more pad/pantiliner. Have backache, legache get tired very easily even doing no work just resting.  Smoothie helps me - banana, strawberry, prunes, flake seeds (flake seed powder), yogurt. I made my home made yogurt (cheaper than store). Do not need smoothie maker. I use blender or a quart size or pint size canning jar works for me. Smoothie helps. For abdomen pain/cramps use heating pad. Since 3 days I feeling better. I walk after lunch or super  and standing helps me. Just waiting when bloat and gas will be gone so I can excercise.  Any idea how long will it take.

Correction: It should be flax seeds and not flake seeds
Hi I was wondering when your doctors are having you go back to work postoperative. I do a lot of pushing and pulling and lifting over a 100 lb, at first I was getting four weeks than 6 weeks, my ob gyn said I am suppose to hea
l faster with robotic surgery than abdominal. Still sore and tender 3 weeks out. My friend had vaginal hysterectomy and took 8 weeks off with a sit down job. I have a job where I work 12.5 hours, and its not like I can say I am tired and need to go home. That is not a option. I will be on my feet a lot. I thought 8 weeks would be good even with cancer diagnosis, but my doctor said 6 weeks are good. I do walk but I hope the tiredness goes away.
Not sure why your doctor would put you on estrogen, studies show people on just estrogen have a higher rate of breast cancer, so make sure you have your mammograms. I to am on a hormone med megace, I asked my doctor if it increases risk of breast cancer and he said no. You should ask him why you are on estrogen especially if you are not having menopause symptoms.
I had my hysterectomy 4 years ago, followed immediately by an ER visit due to areas of my intestines leaking into my gut.  Two weeks in the hospital with a large tube in my nose down into my stomach and 3 vacuum pumps surgically put into my abdomen.  Talk about sore and bloated.  I think my surgeon hit my bowels during surgery, but she says no. Hmmmm.  After healing from that, I developed a hernia.  Had that repaired.  Went horseback riding about 4 months later and was bucked off the horse, falling flat on my face and abdomen.  Developed another hernia.  And all this time have been gaining weight, which drives me nuts.  I still have one ovary, which my gyno said would give me enough natural hormones, but since my hysterectomy, I've been feeling hot, sweaty, and gaining weight.  I really think I need to be on HRT, but was concerned about the idea of increasing my chances of breast cancer by taking them.  Are there hormone replacements out there that would help with my symptoms and not be so cancer causing?  I'm 50 and still want a happy life!  Karen
I have a question how long will it take to get bowels back to normal I had a total abdominal hysterectomy on June 29th so I was curious on how and what too expect from this and how long does the brown discharge last. I'm glad we have this website.. I was excited when I finally got the staples out.how long does it take to feel all the way normal again..I have lost slot of weight from this which will sound strange but trying to get at least ten pounds of it back.took me a long time to get that weight.
I just had a 3rd surgery for repair to something similar inside and I am so grateful to have found this thread. Thank you all for sharing cuz a week after surgery, the bloating gas & 6 pound weight gain has had me kind of freaked out. I am immediately back on no carb diet mode as I just got thru losing 50 pounds & have no intention in giving into evil surgery weight monster  :)  This too shall pass I suppose and all for the greater good ! Take care ladies.
I am 4 1/2weeks post op.  I had a davinic hysterectomy, they cut off a large portion of the cervix, removed the uterus and Fallopian tubes.  They put mesh in to support the vagina and then repaired my perineum.  I have been on Weight Watchers since Jan 2013 and was losing weight steadily.  Immediately after surgery I had gained 10 lbs.  I lost that after 2 weeks and haven't lost a single pound since.  I have not cheated on my diet since Jan and still didn't during and after surgery.  It is so good to hear that I'm not the only one fighting my weight after.  I've been SO depressed from not losing weight and my clothes becoming snug.  When will the weight start coming off?  I'm so tired of being strict with my Weight Watchers diet and not losing weight.  So depressing and frustrating!  Help!
Hi, I just had a major lung biopsy last week. General anesthesia. Right now I have this heavy  and tight feeling on the sight of my surgery. It feels like fluid build up. Very uncomfortable and painful. Will that ever go away in time? Also I had been bloated since then also and does not go away. Will the being not able to go to the bathroom normal be back to normal after the pain pills?
It's a long story, involves a horse of all things, but let me get down to the nitty gritty. I had two surgeries 8 weeks apart. The first surgery was suppose to be day surgery with a laparoscope and turned into a full incision horizontally to remove an abyss left ovary. The ovary had indications of cancer (I'm now cancer free) by week six I was totally free of bloating and the swelly belly was usually late in the afternoon and buy week 8 that was gone. So ladies there is hope!

I am now in week three of my hysterectomy (kept the cervix), removal of my right ovary and my omentum. And just for good measure they scraped off the scar tissue from the first surgery. Guess what hurts the most? That's right, the scar tissue removal. I've recovered from the omentum removal and I've had a little pain from the uterus and just a bit from the right ovary area. I had one night where I need the pain medication back and then extra strength Tylenol keeps me comfortable if the areas start to twitch.

But! the swelly belly and bloating are not much fun, thankfully I bought a large pair of jeans before any of my surguries. I'm wondering if diuretic teas might help with easing the effects of swelling. I know my belly is down in the morning and I have to pee like a race horse so I'm wondering if there is connection?

Good luck to everyone, recovery is the hard part, buy you can do it, don't forget walk lots and drink plenty of fluids (water with fresh lemon and ginger or green tea)

Tivytat
I just had surgery 10/2/13 to remove two large cyst on my ovaries. I gained 6lbs directly after surgery. However, I did have a bowel movement today. I drink Braggs vinegar 2 tsps ( more of eye it) in a 8oz cup of water. I have eaten more then normal too. I do know that soon I'll get back to working out. I'm almost sure the reason for weight gain us the carbon dioxide they use I had shoulder pain the day 1 & 2 as well due to that. Post is pretty old but it definately made me feel better to find!
I'm happy to report that for the past two weeks I've had no swelly belly or pain, but if I over do it, then I have some tenderness in the late afternoon. What worked for me was getting up and walking, lifting 5 lb weights (while sitting on the couch with pillows under my arms, no over head! lifts for six weeks), 3 lb weights strapped to my ankles and just lifting the foot parallel to the floor (still sitting on the couch). Follow this, with curling up for a nap, dumb TV or a good book, repeat as many times during the day as you feel comfortable. The hospitals in the UK send women home with a very helpful little booklet simple exercise that you can do in bed, deep breathing is very important.

I am now seeing a physiotherapist to help me regain my muscle tone (2 surgeries back to back and 16 weeks on the couch) so I can ride a horse again and be ready for gardening next year. Focus on what you can do today, because one day you will get out of bed and your body will move like its' oldself. I never thought I would be back to were I was after the first surgery, but here I am for the second time! You can do it and together we will get better and get back to a more normal life.
Had a TVH on 11/15 kept ovaries. Within 5 days was back in hospital with excruciating quad pain.  Dr. removed sutures and replaced w mesh sutures as she felt they may have been pinching a nerve.  Also removed a surgical pelvic blood clot.  Quad pain is gone, but I'm left with numbness in quad, buttocks and rectum.  I worked out 5 days a week pre surgery for years and i cant imagine how long this numbness takes to go away.  So not sure what caused that quad pain, but I read it could be from compression of the femoral artery from being in the same position during surgery for many hours.  I am having bowel issues as mentioned by others that I did not expect.  Anybody experience this?
Had a total hysterectomy 4 weeks ago and have just begun to feel well, however still have bouts of extreme tiredness.  Have kept my ovaries but certainly plunged into menopause after surgery (mood swings, hot flushes) and sought my doctors help 10 days ago, am now on HRT and feel so much better for it.  I have experienced foggy brain, unable to recall places, names that are well-known to me, however just starting to feel the fog lifting in last few days.  I had a 10cm fibroid plus several smaller ones, and suffered with chronic constipation/diarrhoea, bladders issues and pain for 12+ months, all of these have been resolved since the surgery.  I like to keep busy so the 4 weeks recovery has been difficult to date, as I'm two steps forward, three steps back.  My doctor says 'time and rest when needed will heal your body', so I'm taking her advice.  Good book, good movie, cup of tea and gently, gently as we go!  Hope everyone has improved health soon.
I had a Lap Hysterectomy Feb 6th/14. I was told by the nurse there may be a discharge and that is normal as long as its minimal and not bright red.
This is the case however, there is an odor associated with the discharge, I am showering 3 times a day and can still notice it. I am making an appointment with the surgeon on Monday, but thought I would see if anyone has experienced this or has thoughts on why?