Save on soup
Don't remember where I stole this from but I use it at least once a week!

Make your Own "Cream of ..." Soup

2 Tbs butter
2 Tbs flour
1/4 tsp salt (optional)
1 cup milk

In a heavy saucepan, melt the butter. Sprinkle the flour over it and stir to incorporate. Cook over medium low heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in the milk.

Cream of chicken
If you want to make a cream of chicken flavored sauce, use half broth and half milk. If you have troubles getting this to be smooth, try heating the milk or broth before adding to the flour and butter. Bring to a simmer and cook over low heat, barely simmering, for a few minutes until thick.

Cheese sauce
To make a cheese sauce, add grated cheese and stir until melted.

Cream of celery or mushroom
To make a cream of something, saute 1/4 cup or so finely chopped celery, mushrooms, or onion in the butter before adding the flour and use half broth and half milk.
Thanks so much for this! "Cream of...." soups aren't my thing, but a couple of people I know would LOVE to have this cooking tip. And it sounds so easy!
I use it when recipes call for the soup.  Like the Chicken Lemon Pene pasta I made tonight.
I must have missed this one and just scrolled down .. Hey some great dried stuff out there for soup making I made lentil soup a few weeks ago, my local store has some great dried beans and lentils..hummus powder etc  
You must join this user group in order to participate in this discussion.
newmanandjimmy commented on Adding Abilify
Jul 12
margypops Big downpour of rain last e... Comment
Jul 01
blcontra joined this group
Welcome them!
Apr 26