Infectious Diseases Community
Chicken pox risk of exposure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Chicken pox risk of exposure

Hello. For about 3 hours I stayed in a house where the children had chicken pox. One of them had almost recovered and the other had just gotten the first symptoms (rash). I never came closer than a meter away from the children and in fact most of the time I stayed in a different room. Am I at risk of getting chicken pox?

I am 37 years old, I was not vaccinated as a child and most probably I did not contract chicken pox when I was a kid.

I would appreciate your help.
A person with chicken pox is contagious 1-2 days before symptoms until the time the blisters turn into scabs. You get the chicken pox by the person coughing or sneezing or you touching or breathing the area near the blisters. so it is possible. It takes 10-21 days after exposure to get the symptoms. It is hard to know if you breathed in the virus or not for sure.
mkh9
mkh9
Thanks mkh9. I stayed in the room where the children were for only a few minutes, so I hope the risk is minimal. Time will tell.

However, one question keeps bothering me: is it that you are bound to get ill whenever you come into contact with this virus? Isn't it possible for our immune system to get over it and prevent our body from getting infected?
Hard to say. It is always possible that you immune system could fight something off. I hope for the best. Short exposure and your kept a good distance. It may be helpful.
mkh9
I have started feeling unwell - yesterday I began to develop cold-related symptoms with mucus flowing down from the sinuses and discomfort in the back of the nose. Therefore, I have decided to take an antiviral drug (inosinum pranobexum) preventively. Hope I have made the right decision.
I know the symptoms may not be related to the chicken pox exposure, but in any case my symptoms point to a viral infection of some kind, so taking antiviral medicine makes sense anyway.