Infectious Diseases Community
Joint Pain as a reaction to TB test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

Joint Pain as a reaction to TB test

I have a host of medical problems - most significant are bilateral hip arthroplasty, knee trauma (ligaments and meniscus), a recently broken femur, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, and a chronic infection in my body that started with my first hip replacement 20 years ago. I take daily oral anitbiotics (Doryx/doxycycline) and have IV antibiotics once or twice a year when it gets out of control. I recently had a TB test and I started having severe pain in my joints and arm. I am also feeling more fatigued than usual. My arm is aching so bad, and my femur was crushed a year ago and is still healing (poorly) and it is also aching incredibly. Nothing else has changed except the TB test. I haven't changed any of my meds in the last 2 weeks since I got the test. Can a person have a bad reaction to a TB test (they said the test was negative)? My immune system is a wreck, most drugs, especially antibiotics and morphine, cause me to have severe reactions. Could the tuberculosis test have caused a strain on my immune system and that is causing so much aching?

Thank you for your help.
Dear terilynne,

It is highly unlikely that the TB test has caused such a reaction. I recommend you visiting a doctor as soon as possible and inquiring about the aches which you feel.

Regards, John.
I have basically no medical issues other than seasonal allergies. I had a negative TB test two weeks ago and began having severe joint pain all over my body less than 24 hours later after it was injected that continued for about 10 days. I have had previous tests done with no side effects. I called my doctor as well as the clinic where I had it done, and both said it was more than likely unrelated. However, when I started researching a little, I read about other people experiencing the same symptoms, which makes me wonder if there are rare and undocumented side effects.
I too had a TB  test 3 days ago and have a really painfull arm now and feel very fatigued and irritable. I don't think the medical health service ever like to acknowledge or admit to side effects caused by vaccines or tests.  
i just had my tb test done today and within an hour of getting the test my entire arm ached especially at the joints also the arm was noticeabley weaker. i called the doctor and they pronounced it as being "all in my head" and said that if it was still there when i returned to have it read they would take some x-rays to see what was going on in the joints. i'm glad to hear that its not just me and thus not all "in my head" thanks.
   sarah
I got the test done as well, but it was only my hip and my left leg that hurt
I am having joint pain, too.  Does it go away?
Can anyone up date their findings? I have begun to deteriorate physically! Before i was very healthy, strong & could walk for miles! About 1 hour After the injection, omg the pain in my anterior elbow joint progressively worsened to the point that by Thanksgiving '13 i could only move my right arm! 1 week after the injection i couldn't get out of bed my feet hurt so bad! I could go on & on but send me a private message & lets compare notes! I don't want children exposed to this kind of pain!
Has anyone's joint pain resolved after the tb test?

I had a 2 step tb test done for school. The second one was done 7 days after the first one.  I had some eye twitching shortly after the first injection that resolved in couple days.  Then I had the second injection 3 days ago. Again, the eye twitching returns that night with a stiff neck,  dry, red throat, and mild stomach discomfort.  Has anyone had that experience?  I feel those are side affects.  I had the same test done few items before with no problem.  Will these resolve?
I work in a hospital and must get a PPD every year. This year the nurse injected right through my vein. Hurt more than ever and I had a large bruise. Five days later my hip inflammation started. I have been laid up for 10 days now . Also having pain down left femur.
I don't know if you are having some kind of allergy to the skin test perhaps? You cannot get TB from the PPD test. It is dead bacteria. The skin test is supposed to be injected at the very surface of the skin not deep. When they inject the 0.1 ml of PPD fluid it should cause a little bubble or bleb under the skin. That is how superficial it should be. So if she was injecting this deep into the skin she didn't know what she was doing or she was injection something else. But either way she went through the vein and sounds like she wasn't good at what she was doing. I am a licensed microbiologist and have given them myself.
mkh9
I'm sorry for all the things you have been going through. I hope you can recover and get better. Since your immune system is low you may have had a reaction to the skin test. Usually this is swelling and redness due to the skin test. Usually, the test would have been red at least. But nothing like what you are saying with the severe pain in the joints and arm. You could have reactive arthritis. This would be from bacteria from an infection you had or have getting into the blood stream and into the joints. The PPD test uses dead bacteria. It is only a purified protein derivative. So, it is more likely that you have that since you have had other infections. You may have to have the joints aspirated to see if you have bacteria in the joint. Then be treated for that.
mkh9
Thanks for your response to my post.  My symptoms began 3 to 4 days after the PPD. A MRI ultimately showed a large herniated disk. I performed no activity that would have prompted this. I have never had the slightest twinge in my hips and never any lower back issues.
The neurosurgeon asked me 1) have you ever had any of these symptoms before (No), have you performed any recent activity or had a fall that could have prompted this (No) 3) have you had any recent injections ?
At that point my boyfriend and I nearly fell off our chairs with shock as we reported to him the PPD incident. There's more to the story that would be by private message only. I'm researching inflammatory responses in the annulus fibrosus of the spine. Tubersol contains phenol which is cell toxic.
Well, even if you got a  little phenol it is superficial for the skin test. I used to have to wash my hands in Phenol when I worked in TB . It never caused a problem for me. I know it can be linked to cancer. But that was 20 years ago. I am willing to listen to what your story is. I am saying what I know about the skin test and I don't think this is the cause of what is going on.
mkh9
I don't know how to post a private message
I think you have to friend me first.
mkh9
No you don't have to friend me. just click on my initials and then it will take you to my page. His send message and it will open a window for you to write a message. I sent you one on your home page you can reply to that too.
mkh9
I had a tb test this morning, 2 hours later all my joints ache! Any updates from anyone? Bothered me so bad I looked it up and found this thread!