Infectious Diseases Community
POST-APPENDICECTOMY INFECTION

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

POST-APPENDICECTOMY INFECTION

Greetings to all,

my sister had her appendix removal not long ago, everything went smooth according to the doctor but after 1st and 2nd week she started complaining from pain in the operated area, then afterwards started developing fever (up to 39 and 40 degrees) coming and going + throwing up anything she'd eat, the pain in the operated area continued , after an IRM scan the doctors said there's an infection and started IV antibiotics , she's stable, the fever is not like it use to be (al though comes back from time to time) but she's still throwing up

My question : is this serious ? we are worried sick ! how can a simple appendicectomy turns out complicated ? i am hearing about less than 1% patients develop fever and throwing up as infection post-operation, please enlighten us , me and the rest of the family are worried so much.

Thank you for a prompt reply.
So sorry your sister is going through this.
From Johns Hopkins Medicine:
"Appendicitis occurs when the interior of the appendix becomes filled with something that causes it to swell, such as mucus, bacteria, foreign body, stool, or parasites. The appendix then becomes irritated and inflamed. Rupture (or perforation) occurs as holes develop in the walls of the appendix, allowing stool, mucus, and other substances to leak through and get inside the abdomen. An infection inside the abdomen known as peritonitis occurs when the appendix perforates."

So when she had the surgery the appendix may have leaked some bacteria  into the abdomen. Side effects of this type of surgery are:

Wound infection
Peritonitis. An inflammation of the abdomen that can occur if the appendix ruptures during surgery.

Bowel obstruction

It is possible that hers was close to rupturing or was leaking bacteria through small holes just about the time of the surgery. I don't know 1% seems low to me. I have known several people to have this happen.

Since she Sounds like she is on the mend after antibiotics she will probably recover well. It does take some time to recover after an abdominal infection.

I would monitor her fever closely but talk to your doctor about her nausea and vomiting. Is she eating or able to drink fluids? Do you know which bacteria was the cause or was it multiple bacteria?

mkh9
From Johns Hopkins Medicine:

Wound infection

Bowel obstruction

mkh9
Dear mkh9

No, i don't know the type of bacteria, we evacuated her to another country to get better medical attention, my mother on the phone told me that the doctor said something about an absset , ring a bell ? he gave her antibiotics and said they will do a scan on the operated area , another question , do you think this kind of infections require another surgery to clean up ?

Thank you
Probably not (regarding another surgery). They usually drain the area. I don't know if that is what they are doing for her.
mkh9
latest is they were probably like you said drain the area ...but the doctor said there is no need eventually :o , news that shocked me since she is still complaining about pain , the doctor said the antibiotics she's receiving will do fine...i dont think that's enough
Yes usually they will drain or even leave open the site where they did surgery. This to drain the bacteria/pus out and most of the bacteria in the abdomen are anaerobic (live only without air) so they will die off due to exposure to air. Some of the pain can be due just because of the procedure and some due to the infection. I hope they are hitting the infection with a strong or several antibiotics. It should start to get better but it does take some time.
mkh9
yes obviously it does take to long, they're still at the hospital, and Doctor is talking about releasing her with some drogues, i thought this is serious , may be fatal God forbid. Thank you so much for the help
Keep a eye on her fever and hopefully all will be well. I know it can be serious. But Hopefully, she will be ok. It is a good sign he is releasing her from the hospital. If you see any problems when she gets home take her back. Like if she had no fever or is is 99 and goes back up to 102 or something like that. The draining takes a while> My brother in law had this done and he came out well. I hope she will be fine.
mkh9