Infectious Diseases Community
htlv 1/2

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Infectious Diseases,such as: MRSA, Staph, Herpes Zoster/Shingles, Varicella (chicken pox), Coxsackievirus, CMV, Foodborne/Waterborne, Meningitis, C diff and other

htlv 1/2

I live in U.S. California. I hope someone could answer my questions.
1. It is assumed that hiv and htlv are transmitted similarly, but are they similarly infectious?
2. If you are at risk for hiv and are being tested should you also be getting tested for htlv?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
HTLV is human T cell lymphotropic virus, as it infects a type of white blood cell called a T-cell or T-lymphocyte. There are two types of HTLV: HTLV-I and HTLV-II. Transmission of HTLV-I is by sexual contact, from mother to child via breastfeeding, and through exposure to contaminated blood, blood transfusion or  sharing of contaminated material.HTLV 2 can be passed down from mother to child through breast milk and genetically as well from either parent. There have been few studies showing that co infection with HLV in a HIV patient may accelerate disease progression. It is also associated with higher incidence of myelopathy.If you are doubtful about co infection it is best to get tested for this condition. Do consult your doctor for more queries.
Best luck and kind regards!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Best luck and kind regards!
Hello I appreciate your sincere response.
I have asked many dr. About htlv and testing and most say they never heard of it.
So I was wondering if you could give an estimate of the window period for htlv testing.
1.How long after possible exposure would you consider the htlv antibody test conclusive?
2.How long after possible exposure would you consider the htlv pcr test conclusive?