Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Anal leakage or IBS?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Anal leakage or IBS?

The first time it happened, I farted in Physical Education.  I felt a wet spot in my pants but there was nothing there that was visible.  People were saying "What's that smell?"  That was a year ago,  now it happens everday and everywhere except in my own home.  It usually happens when i become nervous because I think it will happen again.  I cannot smell it but I am positive everyone else can. I'm 15 year old male, no drugs, a lot of soda and sugar in my diet. I think I'm going crazy please help. Thanks.
EDIT:  The smell lingers, I don't fart anymore, it just happens.  It feels like it just comes out. No bowel movement just a wet spot and a bad smell ( I can't smell it).  I haven't yet told anyone about it but have been researching on the internet for some time now.
Have you seen a doctor?  If there aren't any pediatric GI doctors in your area, you are old enough to be seen by an adult GI doctor.

This kind of thing used to happen to me periodically when I was younger, but in general my own IBS tends toward constipation.

I'm sure you know that you need to cut way back on the sugar, or else you wouldn't have mentioned it.  This includes the soda.  Sugar is known to be an inflammatory inducing agent, and it's known to be irritating to the bowels, regardless if it's a manmade sugar or a natural sugar.

Two things need to happen here:  See your family doctor and get a referral to see a GI.  And, for now cut out all sugar, including natural sugars like honey.  It takes a while for the body to come back to the neutral state.  Your body is trying to tell you that it can't handle the sugar overload.
Thanks alot!
Are they're cures for IBS?  Is there anything that a doctor can prescribe that will altogether stop my symptoms?  I feel no abdominal pain or cramps.  But I do have diarrhea about once a week.
There really is no cure for IBS, but you can control the symptoms through dietary changes, which is why I mentioned cutting out all sugar for now.  If your parents can afford to take you to a naturopath or a nutritionist, that would be a good place to start learning about which foods cause you more problems.  My naturopath had me go on an elimination/food challenge diet to figure out my food sensitivities.

There are about 16 major foods on the paper handout that my naturopath gave me that are foods that are among the most common ones that people have problems with.  Wheat and sugar are the top two.  Wheat is the most common gluten containing grain in Western diets.  I tested negative for gluten allergies, but that doesn't mean I'm not affected.  A sure fire way for me to start having issues with my IBS is to eat things with gluten and dairy in them.

My own IBS tends toward constipation, but this food sensitivity issue is a common problem for all people with IBS, regardless if it's diarrhea or constipation or even swings between the two extremes.

A naturopath or a nutritionist can really help you figure out which fiber supplements are useful for you and even which supplements or herbs you can use that are known to be safe for IBS.  I can't tell you which herbs my naturopath has me using, though, because they would aggravate your symptoms, since you're tending toward diarrhea right now.
ok thanks.