Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Dolichocolon

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Dolichocolon

7277468?1317213307
I'm 20 years old ,and I'm an Athlete (long distance running) , I adore eating vegetables and fruits , but
Unfortunately I have chronic constipation 4 years ago ,physicians diagnosed it as a dolichocolon , always suffering from abdominal bloating after eating anything , and it's sever after a big meal , sometimes I feel left side abdominal pain after eating
after I use laxatives it raises my heart rate and respiratory rate and i feel so tired using it.
On the long run when I became adapted to the laxative it's no more effective
I just want to understand my case, and if there is medical treatment or it need surgery better before it regress  more ??  because I'm afraid of  Diverticlousis.

Thanks alot , looking forward for reply I would be thankful

Sorry for the short answer, many digestive related problems remain unresolved by the modern medicine, I would recommend that you try Accupuncture, it might help a lot and can't harm, worth that you will try, look for acupuncturist with experience in the digestive system.
Thank you
Dolichocolon is just a fancy way of saying that you have a very long colon and by itself, it doesn't require any treatment or surgery.  I had my mom look at your barium enema pictures that you included (because she is a doctor and I am not good at reading these thing) and she says that unless you have undergone previous surgery for some reason, it just looks like your colon is long but that there are no other problems.  I don't think you have any need to worry about getting diverticulitis.  What laxatives have you tried taking?  What other tests have you had?  What dietary changes have you tried?
Avatar n tn
The main thing that really upset me  is the bloating after any meal ,even water bloat my stomach , but I ve tried so many laxatives like (MENALAX ,PICOLAX , BIKUNIS , ENAMAX , and lots more for Indigestion , ...and now it really do nothing at all , eating is fear for me these days ... about the tests my doctor told me to make defecation manometry , he thought it may help in diagnosis of severe constipation , also I did  lab investigation for thyroid hormone and it's  normal , I'm just waiting for defecation manometry next week ..I tried to change my diet to just eating vegetables and fruit and it was not bad , but once I eat any other I feel really sick ...
So I don't know where you are from, but I have never heard of menalax, picolax, bikunis, or enamax and google didn't really have much to say about them either.  Have you tried miralax or milk of magnesia?  Have you tried a high fiber diet?  Have you tried drinking lots of water?  Have you tried getting more exercise?  Have you tried eliminating all lactose from your diet?  Have you had blood tests checking you for celiac disease?
I am 21 years old and have been suffering from chronic constipation, bloating and distension and gas after every meal. I am a very active person and find this is the only time i am pain free. I have recently been told after a barium enema that i have dolichocolon looking very much like your images too!! I am at a complete loss on what to eat and feel self conscious and fed up when i go out to eat etc and feel so uncomfortable and distended. Have you found any remedies or dietary changes which have helped you? Does anyone suggest anything? So fed up!!!