Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Mucuos smelly feces in my Anal

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Mucuos smelly feces in my Anal

i have a severe problem with a fecal body odor. when i have a bowel movement, i notice a lot of mucus on the stools (and especially when i wipe). sometimes it's clear and sometimes it's yellow. i notice a lot that my anus and groin area always hot and sweat a lot (hands too) and have a "sticky, unclean" feeling. after a bowel movement, that's when the odor gets worse. i wipe completely until there is nothing on the toilet paper (sometimes using half a roll) and sometimes i go up in the rectum to clean the walls to prevent any possible leakage. sometimes it feels like my anus "opens up" sporadically even when i don't have a bowel movement. i have talked to numerous physicians and they think it's all in my head but when i'm around my friends and other people, they notice a foul fecal odor. i get comments like "You need to scrub your 'thing'" (which I do numerous times), "Smells like I just dunked my head in a toilet", "Did you make a mess in your pants", "I can stand being around dog fecies better than I can stand by you" and so on. I am a very clean person taking 2-3 showers daily, making sure everything is clean (clothes, towels). i have even resorted to putting deoderant and baby powder down there to try and mask the odor but seems like it only worsens it. one time i noticed a strong smelling odor that smelled like "rotten eggs or a stink bomb" that just wouldn't go away. this problem is ruining all aspects of my life. i have quit my jobs and refuse any invitations from family and friends. i just turned 18 and this problem has been going on for about 5 years, getting worse every year. i apologize for my offensive vocabulary but right now i'm on the verge of desperation and depression. any insight/help would be wonderful.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, understand your predicament.  If there is anal laxity it could cause the symptoms described by you. Anal laxity combined with loose stools can produce a bowel movement on straining during an act of urination or coughing. This is more so because the anal sphincter tends to become more lax while urinating. But it needs to be seen if it is actually a bowel movement or a trickling of bowel content. If this is due to anal incontinence /laxity, check to see if with other measures which tend to increase the abdominal pressure like coughing or sneezing tend to cause a bowel discharge.  If this is positive then you may need therapy in the form of exercises and if severe may warrant a corrective surgery.  If the bowel movement is a trickling of secretions, then it could indicate a collection in the bowel which is discharged on straining. This collection happens with rectal tumors, inflammatory bowel diseases and sometimes in infections and also in irritable bowel disorders. Your altered bowel habits too are an indication that you may need to be evaluated by your physician. He may run blood, urine and stool tests and may sometimes ask for an ultra sonogram. Proctoscopy and colonoscopy may further help to diagnose the cause.  As you wait for the evaluation process, ensure to include organic yogurt with your meals and have a healthy balanced diet. Regards.
I read your post and it hurts my heart that people could be so mean to you.  You sound like a wonderful soul.  I hope you find a health professional to help you.
I think I must have IBS.  I'm 58 and have had the full spectrum of IBS symptoms for 50 years.  The symptoms have changed in the past few years to be more frequent.  My doctors told me I had a spastic colon when I was about 9 years old.  I have been avoiding doctors ever since.  
I avoid dairy products and eggs, eat more soluble fiber, eat lots of rice and no fat. I love fat, butter cheese and all that good stuff.  I can't even eat chocolate.  I love all food, this is really SH***Y, sorry for the choice of words.  I get attacks of the SH**S too, in a major way. I avoid carbonated beverages, which I love.  Can't even drink carbonated water.
Hope you get better