Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Sticky Stool

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

Sticky Stool

I am a Male, at 45. I wish some good people out there can help me solve my IBS problem..
Have been getting this problem of constipation not of the hard stool ...but sticky stool.
Becos of the stickiness, I think it stuck to the wall of the intestine(so sticky..I need to splash the toilet bowl few times to clean it off)  even the peristalsis movement cannot ooze much of the excrement.. yes, there may be some that came out but most of the time I don't feel satisfy,the feeling of there are much more inside..
I know I must not consume ice water(or any icy stuff) otherwise this problem will surely arise ..if not worse..
I wonder this has to do with certain enzyme or some pancrease juice which I am lacking...
I suspect emotion or stress could be a contributing factor...
I have a temparory remedy to my constipation..which is Pysllium Husk..very good in creating the bulk in the big intestine and enable the peristalsis to move the bowel out...
What I fear is prolong consumption of psyllium husk may not be good for the body( I read it somewhere)..is it true?
I wish someone can recommend me a solution to my problem or clear some of my doubts..Tq.

As long as the psyllium fiber is working for you, you should use it.  It's not good for some people who also have GERD, if it irritates the GERD.  My new GI doc doesn't know me, so didn't know I have a sensitivity to psyllium, but there are other fibers, such as flaxseed meal, which are really good, too.  Also, Benafiber.

Sometimes anti-anxiety medications are prescribed for IBS, which helps some people.  We carry our emotions in our gut.  This is how the word "pity" came about, because it's talking about a strong feeling in the pit or depth of the belly.
Tq,Furballsmom..for the info..so i should continue with psyllium..
Btw, what is GERD...
Hmm..flaxseed meal, i eat alot of oatmeal..
Benafiber...must find this..
Once again..you think psyllium may not be harmful if taken daily?
My concern is how to get the stickiness out, will be very happy if it is solid..

GERD is the abbreviation for the medical term that refers to reflux disease.  Gastro Esophogeal Reflux Disease.

Every GI I have ever seen recommends using Metuamucil or Citracel everyday.  I know what you're talking about, because I had the same question myself when I first started having problems.  I just can't use it, because I'm sensitive to it.  So, I use the flaxseed meal.  Psyllium fiber is also sold in healthfood stores without all the artificial flavorings that Metamucil has.

Flaxseed meal mixed in your oatmeal would be a good choice for your fiber intake, if you're still concerned about the psyllium.  Flaxseeds are a natural food item.  Bob's Red Mill is the only brand I've seen of Flaxseed meal.  His brand is sold at Trader Joe's for less money than I've seen it anywhere else.  You can either add the flaxseed meal to something like your oatmeal, or you can mix it with water or juice like you would your Metamucil.

Benefiber is mixed into any beverage and is another kind of fiber.  It doesn't add any flavor to plain old water either.
Are you drinking at least 8 glasses of water aday and if not, you should consider increasing your water intake to at least 8 glasses of water a day...that could help decrease the "pasty" consistancy of your stool...also, you may consider including "pitted prunes" (4-5 a day) or a serving of raisins each day and of course there's other food sources which contain "fiber"...and yes, oatmeal is one of them which you're already including in your diet. Some other sources are Dark Red Kidney beans, dried black eyed peas, large dried lima beans...stay away from gassy foods as much as possible and include a good tossed salad each day into your diet. Try Extra Virgin Olive Oil mixture with some Balsamic Vinegarette for you salad dressing (I like Colavita Balsamic Vinegar) as it's has a slight sweet taste and only 6% acidic. And again, the amount of water intake each day is very important not only for the minerals that our body gets from the water, but water is needed not only to help with elimination but it's needed as well to aid in digestion. And one more thing that helps with bowel elimination is "exercise" you will be surprised what just 30 minutes a day of walking will do to help you!
A 30 minute walk can be very relaxing to one's mind, great for the heart, and promotes the lymphatic nodes to eliminate toxins from our bodies!
Take care and best wishes for better health!
Thank-you Furballs and sissy for the feedbacks...
I had resume my consumption of psyllium husks of 2 spoonful mixed with honey or cordials or juices..drink once a day and plenty of water...and result ..I can excrete huge amounts the next day...
Here, I would like to recommend to any person who have sticky stool problem like me or even any kind of constipation...TAKE PSYLLIUM HUSK..it works wonders for you..
Mix plain psyllium husk with you favourite drink/juice to give it the flavour you want and drink another glass of water to flush it down your throat so that it doesn't stick to the wall otherwise you'll be choked...Important: NOT to drink this immediately before going to sleep ..
It works with me and I hope it does for others too..
Your symptoms are pretty much like my own and though I too need a permanent fixture for the same, I would like to recommend a few things to you 1) just like one of the posts says drink a lot of water I think that helps 2) Take tablets with activated charcoal or activated charcoal with papain ( Unienzyme Tablet. that is the name we get in india)  3) Every night have Pysllium Husk with water 4) take an anti depressant if you are depressed or stressed coz that affects bowel movements too 4) Take capsules like DAROLAC IBS only once at night which gives a boost of 16billion good bacteria for a healthy colon for atleast 2-3 months (it helps ) along with an antacid (in the morning. You can also try soaking 2-3 teaspoons fenugreek seeds in water overnight and drinking the water and chewing the seeds in the morning following with tea after half and hour. Try peppermint tea. for moreinfo you can email me on ***@****
Thanks for sharing your experience. I am suffering from a similar problem but do not seem to find a suitable solution. My problem is more a childhood one. However, just need to take clarity from you on what is the right time to take the PSYLLIUM HUSK. You have already mentioned bedtime is not right. Thanks in advance.
I am dealing with a similar challenge.  After trying most of the things mentioned above, plus others, I have decided to began taking Aryuvedic herbs for this.  So far it is bringing out stuff that the only way you know is there is that it comes out.
pls tell me what are the main factors responsible for these kind of problems?
sticky paste like stool
im suffering from food intolerance/allergy and IBS for last 12 years, i have always stomach upset, gas (brosy abdomen) , burning/swelling, when i tap on my back i feel severe pain on middle and right side of ribs (stomach side), no appetite,low mood, weak concentration, sleep disorder, unsocial life, lost weight, fatigue, blur vision, thin thick sticky paste like stool (sticked with intestines/burning while passing/not hard soft but not like watery diarrhea/dont feel urgency to toilet)(1 or 2 times a day to clear bowls. i have severe intolerance/allergy with milk, all dairy products, all kinds of sweets, milk tea, cola drinks, all fruits, fish and eggss, bakery products., everything i eat makes gastro upset. i totally avoid dairy products and sweets. i have done all kinds of tests ( food allergy test is also normal). endoscopy (5 times)[few years back i had always sever pain in stomach, vomiting with pain but now i feel good after using stomach medicines/h.pylori course etc.]last endoscopy was normal, barium meal follow through, ultrasounds, stool tests, all tests are normal, but nothing is diagnosed, i also went to psychiatrist but no improvement (im 200% sure these all problems r due to gastro upsetness not due to psychological disturbance. (i have used many medicines advised by GI doctors but no improvement),, do u have any solution
So sorry ..after last posting...went missing awhile. As to when the correct time to consume Psyllium husk ...thro' my experience..is in between meals..ie..1-2hrs b4/after lunch or dinner..let the digestive system absorb most of the nutrients from your meal first b4 ingesting Psyllium.
kindly all of you pls use tumba a apple like green thing very bitter  in tast.we say tumba in lahore pakistan .u can search in your country use it you will pray for me after using it it is for contipation gas stick stool
.
I am 56 yr. lady, I am so tired of going "sticky pasty poop" 10 times a day! ahh! but each time is very little, but just enough to use 1/3 roll of TP! LOL I do not wish to ask people I know, well, embarrassing, I try to eat allot of fruit and veggie each day, not always, I am human, LOL, I use Benefiber when I remember it. Bottom line.... WHY do I have such irritating bowel habits? Also, each wipe adds alittle more there to wipe. forgive my graphics.
I have been having this problem for a couple of months now. The constant wiping is so frustrating. I made a dr sppt for tmrw. I also bought some probiotics and konsyl. Maybe this will help. Any ideas?
I do have that kind pasty stools, feeling fullness all the in my intestine and colon area. The condition paired with me since six years as i tried my best to cope up my problem. I went to most of the superespecialist in gastroenterology but it never help me, as there is something like this if i took physillum husk,and some other madications like lactulose soln,ducolax etc it heps me passing out the stools but the severity is that there will be pronouncing of heavy stomach pain so after the heavy stomach pain their will be more acid secretion and then it will cause gastritis like this it form a chain to me the whole past and present years so i think its an interesting physiological event that are totally remain mytery over the doctors too. So people with such type of me , never let this ailment conquer the valuable life. Pliz try to some digestive enzyme,that can be find from any chemist soap and i think it little bit helpfull by using aloe vera by consuming raw(gel portion not the upper bitter epidermis one)
those are suffering sticky stool problem....i have to advice to eat WHEAT DALIA after diner.....Boil 2 to 3 tablespoon WHEAT DALIA IN ONE GLASS OF WATER WITH IN 3 TO 4 MINUTES AND EAT AFTER DINER ALSO DRINK ALL BOIL WATER...TRY THIS AT LIST ONE WEEK....AND U CAN ALSO CONTINUE......I ALSO FACED STICKY STOOL PROBLEM IN MY LIFE 4 YEARS..ITS VERY IRRITATING AND FEELING UNCOMFORTABLE TO LIVE LIFE....BUT AFTER TAKING WHEAT DALIA....ITS GAVE ME VERY GOOD RELIEF AND ITS LIFE LONG SOLUTION FROM STICKY STOOL...PLEASE TRY IT AT LIST ONE WEEK......I AM USING RAMDEV BAABAS PATANJALIST WHEAT DALIA ........
hi, i have found some hope by reading ur post, i have sticky stool with constipation, the stool are sticky & very to difficult to pass them, n due to this problem im suffering frm stress,depression,hair fall,dry skin, nosebleeds,some times also mouth ulcers, these all problems started after this constipation with sticky stool, so may i try wheat dalia or no?
I have suffered from this for more than 20 years.  I have not found a solution. Chia seeds helped for a while, consuming 2 tablespoons per day.  What I do is buy a child enema, and do a small enema after each bm. This cleans the lower part of the rectum and prevents oozing.
I,ve developed the same prob over night it seems. It started last year and driving me nuts ever since. I,ve seen drs colon xrays and nothing. I started juicing every morning thinking maybe I was lacking something, or maybe some intestinal bug causing this? I love juicing but the sticky, ichty bm won,t go away.Now I,m not sure??? But I've started taking good quality cod liver oil last week the liquid ,not the capsule form. I've been taking 1 teaspoon every morning for the last 7 days and I ,be been having normal bm I hope it continues. I would gives a try I hope it helps good luck
The problem gets worse during/after tours with change of location/source of drinking water. Causes normally are amoebic infections and less of fibre in foods, for example, salads. I get relief with mild herbal laxatives such as Glycerrhiza powder. A formulation of senna leaf powder, little black salt and ajowain gives good relief. Among fruits, papaya is a lot beneficial. Yogurt should be regular in food. Rehabilitation of digestive tract microbes with commercial formulations of Lactobacillus acidophilus may a;sp be considered.
I have develped similiar problem one year ago, I tried husk 3 weeks, but stopped it coz I am afraid of addicting with it. I tried several ways, no use. At last I started jogging. First 500mtrs then increased to 4 km in treadmill. Now bowel movement is not a concern for me. It will empty in 3-5 seconds(15-30 minutes earlier).I think walking will not help below the age of 50.
Should one take more soluble or insoluble fibre to fix sticky stool problem?

I know thread is a bit old but best info I found from Google is this post...

Thanks!
sticky stools are caused due to many issues, specifically milk and wheat allergies, as over a period of time, it generally starts showing. sticky stools is also caused due to liver problems. start by removing wheat and milk from diet and drinking plenty of juices. Enzyme supplements helps a lot too, and actually enzyme supplements helps body digest and remove toxins as well.
If a person is skeptical about medications, try skipping high protein diet for one day every week, that is no meat, grains, fish. Let the body recover for one day and get back to your daily diet the next day. Also drink plenty of fruit juices on that day (not the canned ones, but homemade fresh juices).
Hope , this helps . :)