Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
incomplete bowel movement

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) issues such as: Aggravating Factors, Alternative Therapies, Anxiety, Constipation, Depression, Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Drugs, Hormonal Changes, Living With - Managing IBS, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pain, Prevention, Research, Stress, Support Groups, Symptoms, Treatment

incomplete bowel movement

About 8 months ago, I noticed that every time I would go, it felt as though my bowel movements were incomplete. The stool would pass normally for a bit and then suddenly it would stop and I could feel a full/stuck-ness in the upper rectal area, and no matter how hard I strained (though I tried not to) nothing would come out; it felt as if there was some kind of "plug" that stopped any more stool from passing, though I still felt the urge.

I'm quite certain that I was (and am) not constipated because my stools would generally be firm to soft and bowel movements would be pretty regular (every day, every other day). I try to eat high-fiber and laxatives didn't help. Even when I had occasional watery stool/diarrhea, I would only go about half to 3/4 what I normally would and then I would feel the "stuckness" and nothing more would come. It also felt as though the rectal openning was becoming narrower (i even noticed it became more difficult to flatulate). There was no blood in stool and generally not too much pain but a lot of discomfort; it felt as though I was in the middle of an interrupted bowel movement for up to hours afterwards.

need help
Hi. I too have been suffering from very similar symptoms for years. I often have quite a sharp pain (no bleeding) when i start to go and can feel constipated, however my stool is usually quite loose. I then feel the same "stopping" sensation- almost as if there is a blockage or a tightening of my rectum. This usually leads to burning and discomfort immediately after I have been, but worse, I can then have just have an overall discomfort in the rectum which lasts for hours and is very annoying. To me, it almost feels as if the muscles in the area just wont relax, and strangely, if a pass gas, it can kind of make the sensation go away. I've been to the Drs and tried various creams, suppository's and laxatives, but as yet no improvement. I am going to see if I can get a more detailed inspection soon, so will post my findings.  
My Gynocologist actually addressed the problem,  .   Your uterus may be dropped and thus gets in the way or you may have a hernia in which the feces collects.  She recommended a solution other then operating.  Hold a finger beteen the rectum and the vagina area and push. You'll find more feces will come out.  Seems gross but it works! Sorry I can't explain it better.