Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
GFR- what does my result mean?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

GFR- what does my result mean?

My GFR is 60 and creatinine 1.07- what does this mean?  My blood calcium levels are also slightly aboe 10.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
The GFR or glomerular filtration rate measures the level of kidney function and determine the stage of kidney disease. Creatinine is a waste product in your blood that is produced from muscle activity. It is normally removed from the blood by the kidneys. But if kidney function slows down, the creatinine level rises. It is used to calculate for the estimated  GFR. Normal GFR is 90 and above. Your result indicate mild decrease in GFR and needs further evaluation. Talk to your doctor about this for proper management.  If GFR falls below 15 dialysis or kidney transplant is needed. Take care and best regards.
egfr of 90 or above with NO symptoms of CKD is considered normal. egfr of 90 WITH symptoms is stage 1 CKD. 60 is stage 2 CKD, with or WITHOUT symptoms ie stage 2 is 60-89, so you are bordering on stage 3, moderate CKD, which is egfr 30-59. I am in stage 3.  stage 4 is 15-29 and ESKD end stage ie transplant and dialysis, is under 15.
Progression can be very slow!!!! ie less than 2 or 3 a year drop. however, it can be VERY rapid, I had 3 tests over 8 months and fell from 80 soemthing to 68 to 53.  Often they dont refer to 40, however there is a lot of debate about this and most opt for early referal ie egfr of under 60. This though depends on rate of decline, and underlying cause.  I see neph for first time next month and am praying can slow things down. All the best but I would take 60 as serious cause for further monitoring, at least every 3 months. even if no symptoms. it is not unusual to have no symptoms in stage 3 and if you do, they are often mild. things can progress quickly though, as with me, so push for more testing. see this site http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/gfr/tab/test
Iam in stage 3 and can't believe my kidney doc wants to wait 6 months to take  another blood. I'm thinking about  changing doctors.