Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Sharp excrutiating pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Sharp excrutiating pain

I have a sharp pain in my left lower back that causes me to stop everything that I am doing.  My doctor told me it was a "kidney stone" that would pass on its own....but that was over 6 months ago.  I have also been to the hospital, and I was told the same thing.  My girlfriend is in nursing school and she stated a point that if it was a kidney stone, the location of the pain would have moved if the stone was passing, but it has not.  If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you for your time.
hey, im having the same problem. left side pain, no doctor knows what it is and they keep saying everythings fine.
I suggest having a kidney Xray, that will reveal weather or not you have a stone in there and cannot harm you in any way.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

How are you? Were there tests done? If the stone is small, it can usually pass on its own .However, some stones are large and may not move out as easily as the small stones. Have this evaluated further for proper management.  An ultrasound and urinalysis may be helpful in the diagnosis.  It is also recommended that you drink plenty of fluids.

Take care and keep us posted.

I have been experiencing left flank pain, back pain and groin pain for the last 3 weeks. I've gotten an ultrasound and it showed no kidney stones in my kidney. After those results and still having pain on and off, i was sent for an IVP (xray) and the initial report from the doctor that it looked clear. I thought maybe there could be a stone stuck in the ureter because i had to get surgery to have one removed in 2007. I'm awaiting the official results from the Radiologist but the wait is killing me. I hate not knowing. If the test comes back clear, what could be causing kidney pain? I don't have any other symptoms except for severe pain that comes on instantly. I can be ok for days and then the pains comes on again.

Marian
I had same experience as you about 2 years ago.  I had that intermittent flank pain that was sporatic but very intense and was told I was probably passing a stone and they sent me home with pain killers.  I never passed anything and was still having pain.  A few months later I went to see a different doctor and he ordered an MRI.  Sure enough, I had a HUGE staghorn calculi in my right kidney (about the size of a walnut).  I had to have surgery to have it removed.  If I didn't go see another doctor when I did I could have lost my kidney.  I did lose about 40% of it's function.  It sounds plausable that you may have a stone stuck in your ureter.  Are you having the same kind of pain as you had back in 2007 when you had one removed from your ureter?
Hi Please go to a different dr and check it up. I had this pain for so many years, several ultrasounds,etc nothing showed, but last week i was in so much pain, i was taken to emergency and they did a CT Scan and found a 3 mm stone on my left kidney, i thought i am dying such extruciating pain, i was sent home with pain killers and stuff and they said tht it will pass thru urine, but no luck, so had to go again as i got kidney infection which can be fatal with stone. Again after the CT scan they said the stone is stuck in the tube and it hasn't come out, so after the wait i had surgery, after surgery it has been three days but tired, very painful, can't walk properly. Don't know how long it will take to heal, drink lots of water and do not hold the pee, as soon as u feel the urge go. wish  u all the best. it has been more than two weeks i am still recovering. luckily i have family and friends to help if not it is very hard.