Kidney Stones Expert Forum
4.9 mm stone in lower pole of left kidney

Welcome to the Kidney Stones Forum. This is a place to ask your personal questions about kidney stones and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of kidney stones.

I am suffering from UTI for last three months. USG results a 4.9 mm stone in lower pole of left kidney. Doctor advised me to take DISTONE (2 Tab 8Hrly).
I was not familiar with this product, but I looked it up on the web and it appears to be a urinary tract anesthetic, which might make you feel better temporarily, but will not dissolve your stone. Most stones are NOT dissolvable.  Most small (5mm is small) NON OBSTRUCTING stones are asymptomatic.  I would want to check that your urine CULTURES are truly showing an infection.
July 2011 I had severe pain in left kidney and scanned it USG result in 4.9 mm stone in left kidney.Doctor gave me medicines and a diet chart which is seriously followed by me.Yesterday March 2013 again I had a pain in left and USG showing 4.9 mm stone in Left upper ureteric Calculus.Is surgery is last option available ??? Can medicine help me to pass it through......
US is not a super accurate way to measure the size of a stone, so I would probably have you get a simple abdominal X-ray.  If the stone is truly 4.9mm, it is passable without surgery, and the most effective medication to help it along is called tamsulosin (Flomax).  

A related discussion, kidney stones and heart attack was started.