Kidney Stones Community
Feeling Weird After Kidney Stones....?

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

Feeling Weird After Kidney Stones....?

About 8 days ago, on the 1st, I woke up with horrible pain in my kidney. I couldn't breathe! My brother rushed me to the ER where they diagnosed me with a fairly large kidney stone. I was sent home a few hours later with some painkillers. When I got home, the pain got much worse in spite of the medications. When my husband got home that same evening, he took me back to the ER only to discover that the stone had gotten lodged in the tube leading from the kidney to the bladder, and I couldn't urinate. The next day I had emergency surgery to have a stent placed from the kidney to the bladder to drain the urine. (They didn't do anything about the stone itself because it was a holiday weekend). They sent me home shortly after the surgery.

From the time I got home Sunday morning until Wednesday morning, I took my pain medication as need, which was all the time. Wednesday afternoon I had another operation where the kidney stone was shattered, and a new stent was placed in my tube to allow the tiny pieces to pass. Wednesday night I was back home recovering. Feeling as if I was becoming more dependent on my pain medication, I used it sparingly Thursday even though I was miserable to say the least. Friday was the same thing, except when I woke up I felt foggy headed, like I couldn't concentrate. I thought maybe it was from trace amounts of anesthesia and painkillers in my system.. but it started getting worse as the day went on.

I waited a few hours and this morning I called my Urologist about the stent pain, and managed to get a Saturday appointment. I went in and had the stent removed which took about 95% of the pain away.

Now I don't have an appointment until Tudsday. Then they want to do a X-Ray and an exam. I still feel weird like I can't concenrtate. Is this normal from having so much going on with the procedures, being put under twice and being given so many meds, etc? I suffer from anxiety attacks and have had a few since all of this began. When I can expect to feel like normal again?
Hi -- just saw your post. Hoping you are feeling better as of now .. was it your anxiety kicking in maybe?  Did they do litho on the stone of that size?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Renal colic is very painful and the consequent procedure too. As the stone bits pass through it could cause pain and further bleeding into the urine. Once it has completely cleared, the stone, the pain should stop.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.