Kidney Stones Community
Hi Can u Have Stones and they not show on tests?

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

I have had UTI's for as long as I can recall, scar tissue in my urethra and lower back pain. Most recently my back would spasm on the lower left side right under my rib cage and would go non stop.....I did not have pain when passing my water, just the opposite when I felt the need to go....I had urodynamics testing and was told I had a neruogenic bladder....the flow starts and stops and I have to concentrate and push as if I was having a BM just to pass my water, and it was always a slow small stream. With the onset of this pain my Dr did labs and found trace blood in my urine and gave me cipro a few days later the pain increased and nothing I took OTC helped, I called and he said go 1 more week of increased water intake and the cipro...2 days later I was in the ER for the worst pain ever.....I had a US b4 the cipro I forgot to mention, no stones were seen, and in teh ER they said the infection was clear, and I had no stones, but did have some diverticulitis ....would that be the cause of this excruciating pain? Or could it be that when the flow was slow I had a stone and it passed?I am confused and have no answers.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

In Diverticulosis as the name implies, there are small diverticula or pouches which porjrct through the defects in the lining of the intestines. These diverticula can get inflamed resulting in a condition called diverticulitis, where there are symptoms of abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and changes in bowel habits. When inflamed the pain is severe. Sometimes small stones can pass through and may not be detected by imaging studies.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.

Thank you, I was told since they did not see any stones it was unlikely....and I did have a colonoscopy a few yrs ago and the diverticulitis was not detected then, but I did have a few polyps and do need to go back for another one...

Having IBS, bowel change is hard to use as a indicator and I had back pain not abdominal pain does that change ne of it?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Usually when a stone is passed, there will be some bleeding into the urine. The back pain could be due to a prolapsed intervertebral disc. The other common causes for the back pain could be infections/inflammations of the bowel, kidney disorders like pyeloneohritis, glomerulonephritis. Others are pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy, endometriosis and polycystic ovarian syndrome. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.